Friday, November 12, 2010

I need an attitude adjustment

Or so I decided a month or so ago. Like maybe if I change my way of looking at my worklife, I can find a better way of going through the day. Obviously this isn't a magic bullet that will make the truly stupid coworker be awesome, or a truly bad day better. But I think that I have been making things worse for myself.

If I go in to work every morning all having woken up with a cranky attitude that says nothing good will happen, it will be much harder to have a good day. Now I think it might be silly to go on thinking everything awesome will happen, but there has got to be a better way.

Like yesterday morning. I was cranky. I came to work cranky. I found myself getting quite angry early on in my work day when a coworker very politely asked me to complete a very simple task that is part of my job and neither awful nor terribly tedious nor difficult. Why would I do that? I gave myself a little time out and said listen Heather, that is your job. Do not get snippy with that person for having you complete a duty of yours. Let's take a deep breath, force ourselves to smile and think of England. Well whatever you know what I mean, perk it up chica.

So, singing happy songs and chair dancing and silly are being introduced back into my work day. Because if I go into everyday with a decent mood it will be harder to lose.

No comments: