Thursday, July 06, 2006

I felt swanky and c is the new f

I did. Last night I went to a rock show at the Metro here in Chicago--a rather storied venue which is also a really fabulous place for rock shows. Intimate without being tiny, plus I kind of know some of the security guys which always makes you feel cooler.

The bands we saw were all pop-punk sort of bands starting with Army of Freshmen followed by Punchline and Chicago's very own Lucky boys Confusion and ending with Bowling for Soup, and I liked all of the bands who played. My roommates to be are friends with at least some of the guys from Punchline, so they were staying at my house to be that night. My roomies and I then went to the Smartbar right after the show where the drummer caught up with us, and we hung out. Also hanging out at the Smart bar were most of Lucky Boys Confusion and the guitarist (?--because it could have been a base that he was playing and I know jack shit about music) of Bowling for Soup and their various friends and hangers on (this is the part where I felt swanky).

Best story of the night--the men's room door at the smartbar did not fully shut, and where I was sitting looked right in on the first urinal in the restroom. One of my roomies pointed this out, and I thought it was hilarious that I may be seeing someone pee (hilarious and a little weird). Who is the next man to pee? The lead singer of Lucky Boys Confusion is. I saw him pee--only really I saw his back in front of the urinal and I assume he was doing his business.

Anyway, then we went back to our apartment and watched Dazed and Confused with 1/2 of the band Punchline and got into a discussion about the fact that fuck fails to shock as a bad word anymore. Unless you are really sheltered or young, fuck is not exciting, so the new shocking curse word is the c-word (as in C yoU Next Tuesday). It pretty much seldom fails to shock and cause discomfort, so C is the new F. And then I spent the night in a papasan chair.

No comments: