Tuesday, October 07, 2008

perfromance art the beginning of the results

So, I am not going to get to see Tim Miller and Alistair McCartney.  BUT. . .I will be in Mike Daisey's workshop on Saturday (so excited!) and tonight I go to the roundtable discussion which if it gets too boring I am going to go back to Sam's and watch the debate.  Hopefully it won't be boring at all.  And on Saturday night Sam and I are taking his parents to see Mike Daisey's performance.  Yeah that's right his parents are going and they want to and they picked it!  I got him to email his mom the links of the choices (because Sam wanted to take them to see "Jersey Boys"), and her response was Mike Daisey sounds fun and then she dismissed Jersey Boys (and the Four Seasons in general) quite out of hand.  She lived through it she said, and she didn't need to do it again.
 
I am stoked!  There is no way given the same choice my parents would have picked Mike Daisey.  They would've gone for Jersey Boys (although I suspect my dad actually would have liked Mike Daisey more).  Although my parents have years and years of being dragged along to weird theatrical events that I reccomended, so they may just be wary of everything that I picked (I was in Eastern Washington ok there just isn't that much weird theatre there that isn't also REALLY bad theatre).  Although on the other hand, one summer I did a great fast, short, spare cutting of The Rivals and the world's least funny production of You Can't Take it With You (which is a show that is hard to destroy the comedy in as much as we in fact did), and they just shrugged at The Rivals and LOVED YCTIWY.  The Russian they said (ok Childers was pretty funny) and the actor lady (no, no, no that woman was not funny, she was just pushy not the same thing at all) so funny!  They couldn't get over it.
 
Anyway, I will keep you posted on how things go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my own defense, the lack of funniness in YCTIWY was not my fault. God knows I tried to let the funny happen, but being directed to underline every humorous moment in the script and then Make It Funny is a sure way to KILL the comedy. Gawd, that was a hideous experience. And you're right. She was not funny. She was a pain in the ass.

And we could have been uproarious. 2/3 of the cast was straight out of Paul's class and ready to take it to the limit. But it ended up being so forced.

Thank goodness we had The Riv to balance it out that summer.

Heather K said...

Oh for sure! The cast was by and large not the fault of the lack of funny. We could be pretty damn funny in rehearsal until it was all stolen away from us.

Silly, mean old man!