Wednesday, February 04, 2009

jokes are fun

So, I don't think it should come as a terrible shock to any of my blog readers that Sam and I are pretty serious, and we both know that we will get engaged sometime and then married at some point after that.  Although those sometimes and some points are very fluid and should encompass many years in total at their smallest points.  Anyway, because of that and the fact that Sam has now met my dad, there is a small possibility that Sam will officially propose with a ring and stuff at any moment now, BUT the likelihood of that happening increases with the amount of time passed, so it is very tiny right now and all this spring/summer/year it will remain small.
 
Anyway, that is background.  Sam's company like all the rest of us, is feeling the economy pinch and therefore will not be giving lavish bonuses or raises.  People will get them, but from a smaller pool and raises will be reserved only for the truly exceptional and will smaller than usual, so Sam is not expecting the usual bounty he has gotten in the past.  I have been teasing him when he says that we can't get engaged because girls cost money, by saying that well when he gets his bonus he can blow it all on a ring for me.  However, he teased me that this year it doesn't look good.  This makes me think that the next time we see the two guys who founded the company, as we have gone to dinner and concerts with them upon occasion before, I should tell them that we aren't engaged because they did not pony up enough of a bonus for a ring this year.  I think this will be hilarious, and I think they will be amused too because well they have senses of humor and Sam and I met because of their company (it hired my friend, she introduced us at a work event, etc) and they know the whole back story. 
 
This story/joke is less amusing than I feel it should be.  And it is because I totally jumbled the backstory and constructed it very poorly.  Part of me wants to go back and polish it up so Alan won't give me grief, but I am too lazy.  Deal with it Cate Blanchett!

7 comments:

-al said...

I'm not sure what just happened there. Did you just call me Cate Blanchett? I guess there are worse things you could call me.

Heather K said...

I was quoting some Tracy Morgan from when he accepted a Golden Globe on behalf of 30 Rock because since Obama is president Tina and he made a deal that he is now the spokesman of the show. He ended that explanation with "Deal with it Cate Blanchett!" which is played as a sound drop on TBTL all the time which I still think people should listen to.

Jim said...

Hey, pre-congratulations, Heather. Do you know what sort of affair you want, should the occasion arise? Or is it bad luck to "plan" without an actual engagement?

Dropped At Birth said...

another one bites the dust. *sighs*

jk. but i totally think you should go up to them and say that!!! i would die laughing. but. i might not be the best person to listen to since i am far too into pranks and believe all's fair in this arena...

laurenj said...

Eek - it is a funny joke, but most of the time people mention bonuses these days everyone gets a depressed and constipated look on their face, so feel it out first.

I am so glad that I got to meet this young man so that I can officially approve of all this engagement talk. AND its about time the Kinions started to try catching up to the Luksics...rawr!

Heather K said...

Lauren, Tom is going for it this 4th of July reception at Moore Mansion.

Jim, I am not really sure. I do tend to think about it a lot. It would be cool if we could have the reception at the MCA here because it is a beautiful museum with a back sculpture garden, and it is in our neighborhood, like two blocks away from home. I think it would be nice to walk home in our finery from the back gate of the sculpture garden. But that place would take some dough to afford, so we would need a good wedding benefactor.

Jim said...

If you did that and walked home and all that I'd say hire an awesome photographer because that scene would be beautiful. You should also close the roads so the entire crowd could follow you and swell up the streets.