Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I Had a Date" and "Is This What It Is Like to Be a Boy?"

The date was mostly very good. The dinner was very nice and the drinks after the movie were excellent. Nice conversation. He was sweet and smart and funny and so was I (I think), and I believe we both generally had a good time at those things--if not a great time. This was a longish date and it totally could've been longer just fine, or that was how I felt.

We however saw the totally wrong first date movie. "Superbad" is very funny but very juvenile and teenage boy raunchy and by raunchy I mean RAUNCHY! Now this would've probably been less weird if we had in anyway known how the other would react to that sort of thing, but we didn't, so there was that kind of awkwardness. The wow this is weird to be watching this right now sort of awkward. Also, not a whole lot of opportunity for really much closeness at all. Not in dirty teenager comedy, maybe should've picked something a little more grown-up even if it would've been less funny. I would've swapped comedy for potential hand holding or something.

However the date recovered from that very well when we had drinks, and I saw him again last night although not in any formal capacity. He goes to see Anna's show, and I decided that if I got to see him, I should totally go under the auspices of "studying my character" which really translated to more seeing of him. I tried to intimate that in a text, but who knows how it came across.

This is where my wonder from the title comes in. I like Sam, and I think I like him a lot, but half the time I am not sure if he at all likes me except that he responds to my texts and comes to the movies with me. Now, I accept that he is a much more shy person than I am, and my spy Anna has led me to believe it has been a while since he really did much dating, but often I can't tell if he really likes me.

Is it this hard to date girls and do all the work? How do you keep asking them out? Is it really this uncomfortable? I am sorry. This is why I always tried to be decisive (even if sometimes I majorly failed) although chances are if my response wasn't enthusiastic, I wasn't interested.

Ugh. Hopefully sometime I will have time to have a date with him that makes some of this more clear. Except moving is taking up all my time. grrrrrr. . .

6 comments:

Jim said...

I went on a date with a woman once and all I could think about was my nostrils. I kept thinking I was flaring them. And, so, I never saw her again.

I am glad your date went so well and that you like the boy. I hope he feels as good about you as you do about him.

By the way, I've seen Heroes and you haven't. Nyah nyah nyah.

Anonymous said...

But you've only known him for two weeks, right?

It sounds like the date was good. He didn't recoil from seeing you a second time, so that's a happy thing.

I'm sure things will even out and unfold nicely if you just let them go at their natural pace. Whatever that turns out to be.

Anonymous said...

To answer your questions in order:

Yes.
Libido.
Sometimes.

Heather K said...

Yes, being patient. . .about that. Look at Sally agreeing with my roommate and expecting me to have common sense and be calm. So silly.

Actually, both my horoscope today and my fotune cookie last night told me to be patient and I will realize my goals. Funny.

I have decided my new mantra is 1 and 1/2 dates. To remind me that everything is actually going well.

Anna thinks this all is hilarious. have a suspicion she finds the fact that both of us are freaking out hilarious.

laurenj said...

Superbad? Really? That is a fabulous movie but an atrocious date movie. I am glad you survived.

Patience doesn't come naturally for you, perhaps, but being wonderful does, so just keep on doing that, I think.

Heather K said...

Thanks Lauren!