Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tired, tired, tired

I just am. And I have two jobs I like now. That didn't used to be the truth, and the first job pays me pretty well (which is awesome--yea new job), so it is making losing the other job really tempting. So tempting that I doubt the second job will last the summer. It will probably last paying off the credit card incurred by it.

The hard thing is, I will miss it. I just can't do it anymore. I am tired most of the time. I don't have real weekends, I don't have time to go to the movies, and I am just constantly slammed. I would keep working if they could work it so I just only ever work Thursday nights, but that is a preposterous thing to ask them. Plus I will never get more available to them, only less. They need someone who can be there all the time. The trouble is that they have a bit of a quandry in my position--they should only have me.

But really, I need to not have all this to do, and for the first time I can afford it, plus I no longer have to have it as a refuge from my terrible job. And when my play slows down I will go work there for the holidays. It is a good plan, and I think it is what is going to have to happen. The good news is that I will have weekends again. Weekends that may have room for bus trips to MO and for actual Chicago fun like I haven't had since I was flat ass broke.

9 comments:

Jim said...

I think I may have actually followed that and if so I encourage you to keep the job that allows you to have a life and drop the one that prevents you from doing so. Well, I guess I encourage this even if I've got it wrong. Is your neck even better than before?

-al said...

What's the point of working extra jobs if it ends up killing you before you can enjoy all the extra money from the extra work?
I say your health, mental, emotional and physical, is probably worth more than job #2 pays.

Heather K said...

Well right now they should have me + two others in my position (who work a lot more hours a week) and me.

Also it used to be the part that saved my sanity from the job that I worked at 40+ hours a week.

Right now, I would be so much better at my main job, better at my play, and happier, healthier, and better rested if I lost job #2. So, I am thinking that my last day there will be sometime in July, hopefully earlier rather than later July, so I am thinking I will say good bye to it in July.

This actually makes me sad, but I just need to do less work and less commute. I am going to talk to Sam about it because me having more free time will probably change the dynamic in our relationship quite a bit. But that is what I have made up my mind to do.

Heather K said...

Oh, and my neck feels fine. Still going to the chiropractor, but way way way less even as they try to sell me on coming there 4 times a week. Which is soooo not happening.

Jim said...

I'm sure Sam will enjoy seeing you more.

chrissy. said...

you knooooooooooooow, if you feel like taking a bus trip to missouri in june that would be awesome

Jim said...

in juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune (even though i'm mocking chrissy, i agree that would be cool. i mean coooooooooooooooool.)

Anonymous said...

Finding balance is such a tough thing. The choice that worked before suddenly doesn't when something else shifts and you adjust for that and other things get out of whack.

Now that I think about it, it's like that balancing the space exercise we did in acting. One person moves to fill a space and that opens something that must be filled and so-on.

At least you're aware that you need to change something and that it will affect other things.

Unknown said...

I'm excited for you to quit your 2nd job! Let's play!! Movies in the park, the zoo, farmer's market, festivals, you know...summer things!