Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Ponderings for this week

Things I have pondered lately.  I was SO a fish out of water where I grew up.  My perspective on ok and right and wrong were even different this is beginning to dawn on me now that I live in a corner of the world where I am surrounded by people with similar life views.  I am not saying I am surrounded by yes men (or women), but I am surrounded by people who start from the same point as me.
 
That Prop 8 in California is totally and egregiously wrong is a given with my my coworkers and friends and neighbors.  Well, some of them may actually agree with it, but they take the anti view seriously enough to not let on if they do.  Back home I know I would face frowns and faces and going to hells for loudly proclaiming equality full equality for homosexuals.  Even from some of the liberals.  I mean they would say that they like gay people but marriage would be coming on a little strong.
 
Here, I live in a place where gay men and lesbians holding hands, having children, and being very open and public about it isn't weird.  I mean I would imagine in some neighborhoods in Chicago it would be, but in the ones where I travel, it is just the way it is and no one seems to mind.  I mean they treat it exactly the same as hetero couples doing it (for the most part, I am sure Chris will speak up to correct me). 
 
I am sure there are some here who hate in the same way people did back home and in Idaho, but they are the quiet minority.  Exactly the opposite of what I saw back home.
 
It is nice.  One day it will be like that everywhere and people will shake their heads that Americans used to not let gays marry.  How silly and wrongheaded we once were.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I even start to think about Prop 8 I get so angry I'm incoherent. So I'm not going to say anything here but, "Yes. Exactly. What she said."

chrissy. said...

oh, i know someday... maybe even in our lifetimes, that will be normal in many neighborhoods. we just have to keep on workin and be patient. we cannot and will not be discouraged by things like prop 8! dr king was not discouraged! gloria steinem was not discouraged! we won't be either!

Heather K said...

Well and at this point in A LOT if not most places it is kind of a generational thing and the old people will eventually die and be replaced by younger people who don't see what all the fuss is about.