Monday, March 28, 2011

Other than Quilt Math, things are good and they are only getting better!

We just bought tickets for a big vacation to SPAIN over my birthday!!! So that is only totally awesome, and I am SOOOO EXCITED!.

This week is full of adventures with two plays, a fabulous amazing dinner at Alinea that is a surprise for Sam's 1 year sober anniversary, also a networking party for Sam's school at a fun place on Friday, and tonight a quilting adventure to purchase fabrics for some quilt projects including one for me, one for my auntie, some basic solids for the stash, AND a bunch of solids and maybe subtle pattern for a big project based on my floor tiles in the bathroom (altogether this might be 28 or so yards of fabric which might make Sam tell me not to buy it all at once--and theses are just for the tops however these projects should last ALL year).

That Mies Tiles (as I will call it) piece from my bathroom floor was making my mind explode as I calculated how much fabric will be needed which meant knowing how many pieces cut for each block, how many blocks in the whole piece and roughly how that will fit on a bolt of fabric. Fortunately there are a few cheap and free quilting apps in the iphone store and I used them to figure out yardage the easy way (although still had difficulty figuring out how many inches say a yard and a quarter is but I did it). It might turn out SUPER awesome, but it also will take a gajillion years for two reasons 1) there will be over 1700 pieces in it, 2) I will have to cut them all out, and 3) yup sew them together and together and together. BUT I think it will look awesome as I keep it in the grays/blacks of my floor tiles and if I put little pops of Crimson in here and there if I make it a WSU Cougs quilt for my youngest brother. But he might not appreciate it and I will have to keep it. Suck it Dan.

Also, in trying to figure out what kind of quilts go to what kind of person in my family and in Sam's family the mom's and sisters and grandma's are easy. Not so easy, the brothers and dad's. But dad's are at least super easy to please. Let's face it, if it ain't pink, they'll like it fine. Brothers now. Well, shoot. So for one of mine possible Wazzu inflected gray quilt. For my other one, probably something super country. For Sam's brother oh golly I don't know. Until I saw some quilt patterns using the blockiness of quilts (everything can be broken down into little squares) to recreate something else that can be broken down into little blocks--old school video game graphics. I think a donkey kong quilt will be in order for him: here, also in mario bros.

No comments: