Monday, October 15, 2007

Date Update

The date was great, and if I rhyme anymore in this post, someone should kick me. It also involved some sitcom-esque events (because sometimes I wonder if my life is not secretly a reality sitcom that no one has ever let me in on--remember my best wedding story ever).

First we met for dinner at the Kinzie Chophouse, a steakhouse down in the north loop restaurant district. The food was good, the small talk was good, the server was terrible. He just wasn't really with it. Then it comes to the time when he offers us dessert, and he starts to, but then he stops, mumbles something about having something for us or knowing what we want and disappears. Sam and I just look at each other, and ask if he just said he was bringing us dessert--because neither of us have ordered dessert. We are very confused, and we become more confused when crappy server brings out a big dessert plate with chocolate torte and little pile of hipped cream and sliced strawberries surrounded by drizzled sauce on the plate, drizzled sauce that spells out "Happy Anniversary!"

I laugh because what else can I do? Sam looks a little stricken until he realizes that I know he did not plan a Happy Anniversary Dessert for us. This does not happen in real life. So we flag server down, and we tell him it isn't for us because it is really not our anniversary. He seems confused that it isn't ours and tells us to eat it anyway. We do, but we laugh about it a lot! When the server comes back with the check, he asks us, "Are you guys even married?" Yeah, not so much. It was funny, and I kept mentioning that it is after all our anniversary as the date went on. Like after the symphony, he asked me if we should do something else, and I said, "Well, it is our anniversary!"

The symphony was awesome. Symphony center here in Chicago is AMAZING! Plus we sat on the terrace. Which meant we were behind/over the musicians and the conductor was facing us. Branford Marsalis was really close to us during one song. Watching the conductor was really cool--he was visiting us from St. Louis where he leads their symphony. Then they played a Thessolonius Monk song instead of the Copeland piece that was scheduled, and wow! Seriously wow! Soprano sax sounding as un Kenny G like as possible. It was great!

Then there were drinks, and then I got locked out of my apartment because I don't actually have a key to my apartment, and I forgot that Renee would be out later than I would be. So we went back to his place. All I am saying is that I no longer fear we won't be able to get past the first date situation. That problem has been solved.

Although, now I worry that I seem like a totally scheming bitchy girl when I really just don't have my own key to my apartment. I realized after the fact that this was just the kind of plan I needed, but I know I wouldn't have been able to go through with it if I had figured it out in advance. It is just too. . .evil and planny. I am not that girl, really not. But it probably seems like I am. Or hopefully, he doesn't think I would do that.

Anyway, things are going well. I imagine that Sam will become my boyfriend soon, if he isn't already--I am not always the best at figuring these things out.

4 comments:

laurenj said...

Some ideas on how to figure out if he is your boyfriend:

1) Have someone send over a dessert that reads "For Heather's Boyfriend" and see how he reacts.

2) Send him a note with various options to circle- boyfriend, friend with benefits, no answer at this time...

3) Ask him about his girlfriend

4) Devise an elaborate plan in which someone you know but that he doesn't know has occasion to ask him if he's in a relationship

5) Overhear parts of a phone conversation that lead you to believe that he actually already has a girlfriend but then after twenty minutes of disasterous hijinks you find out it was you he was talking about (that's just if you want to keep on with the sitcom thing)

Jim said...

I'll add one to that.

6) Ask his assistant.

Nice job with the keys. I wouldn't worry about how he perceives that turn of events. Planned or unplanned he got a great thing out of it, so I'm sure he doesn't care. If he thought it was planned, he would just think you were clever.

Is there a coronation ceremony for becoming Heather's boyfriend?

Heather K said...

There should be!

-al said...

Nice move with the "I don't have a key to the apartment" ploy. Sounds like something Barney would pull on How I Met Your Mother.
Also, I think it's Thelonious Monk.