Thursday, July 23, 2009

I sound like a nutjob on my favorite radio show

I do. They put me on their episode for July 21, 2009 in the last 10 minutes of their final hour of show, and I sound like a nutjob. It was an obsessive fan letter about how their "bad" radio segments are not good by the traditional definition or expectation of radio but that is actually what makes them good.

I was about to launch into a recitation of the letter again here, but I sound like a pretentious idiot. Well maybe not. I just was very exuberant about it. Because they do crazy stuff that isn't so great for the audio listener perspective, but what they give us as it happens is what makes it totally awesome-the sheer weirdness of it.

BUT in hearing them read my email aloud in its entirety, I sound like a freak when I write. I think I use bigger weirder words or am more prone to it when I write and I so did in that email. The real question for the blog is are my writings more pretentiously worded than my talkings? This is a serious question if I start really working on my storytelling-y things, you know soon or like ever.

If you want to hear my lovely letter read live on air go to here and either click on the 9:00 to 10:00 hour for the 21st of July or use that date to find that hour. I am in about the last ten mintues of that hour.

5 comments:

Heather K said...

Chris says I don't sound crazy. He says I sound fine. It isn't even my voice, but I couldn't relisten to the segment.

Related questions, why am I behaving like an insane person?

Jim said...

I'll answer your question with a question: If you are an insane person behaving like an insane person, does that make you normal?

Listening now.

Yay! Heather!
She liked your email. She's supportive.
"Likely to be made of fail." Great line.
What's a chochki?
Was the font of your email super small?
Man, they really stretch this out.

How can you be down on this? They love it. I don't think you sound crazy, either. I think you sound intelligent.

Heather K said...

I guess maybe I think that I sound crazy because I never really notice just how many words I use. Until other people try to read them.

I was very glad that they liked my email--especially Jen because I was afraid she would be worried, and she really did like it.

ALSO yes they did stretch it out. I mean I am flattered but I was just writing that whole email in like 10 minutes wuthout editing and maybe it should've been edited for airplay. (PS Made of fail was stolen from my friend Amanda who says it all the time). And the font of my email is the regular font of gmail.

Ok, apparently the insanity is all in my head--not sure that is better. I still probably cannot relisten to it.

And I was always super exicted about it but also kind of awkwardly embarassed because I want to impress these total strangers even if that is kind of a bizarre desire.

Sally said...

I love the fact that your blog sounds just like you talk. I can hear you in my head as I read it. It may be that the person reading it didn't read it the way you talk and so it came across as stilted or awkward or foreheady.

Jim said...

I always want to impress total strangers. That's why whenever I meet someone I admire, I say and/or do something dumb. Such as when I met Lewis Black and all I said to him was "I like Zebra cum."