Friday, July 17, 2009

Life Goes On

I feel like I am bad at using my free time.  I come up with all sorts of projects and activities, but as soon as I get into the apartment, they are pushed aside by what is on the Tivo.  I have been empowering myself to delete things from the Tivo that I am not going to watch.  Those three episodes of Mythbusters that are mostly if not all reruns, they can get deleted.  It is fine.  They won't last until the weekend when I should be enjoying the lovely weather and not watching them, or I should at least leave them unwatched until they get deleted by newer shows.  If it rains this weekend I can curl up with them, but I don't have to.
 
I made a big pasta salad last night, but I am not satisfied with the dressing.  I cheat and buy dressing premade for it, but the one I bought was not the one I thought it was, and it was missing some of the flavor.  Quite frankly the best pasta salad dressing I have ever found is The Olive Garden's house Italian dressing.  I am not a huge fan of The OG since I have discovered neighborhood Italian joints that blow it away (I am looking at you Rose Angelis and your gnocchi with apricots and prosciutto and Gorgonzola cream sauce and your demilune spinach ravioli with pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes and brown butter sauce--heavenly gigantic bowls of YUM), but lets face it the draw there has always been the bread sticks which may well be made of crack and their Italian dressing for their salads which is probably the best thing they actually make.
 
My cat is probably a two litter box cat, and so we begin that process this week.  Since he has been protesting pooing where he pees and he has a history of deciding those things must not go together (although before that meant he used the litter to poo and the toilet to pee), we decided to just go along although Sam's place is awfully teen for two litter boxes.
 
Also I am starting my own personal campaign of being unashamed of what I like even if it is dumb stuff that I ought not to like, such as the music of Nickleback (which I actually don't like but I think that we can all universally agree that no one ought to like them and perhaps should be ashamed if they do).  Like chick lit and rom coms.  I love them.  I do.  I mean like all genres their are good and bad and better and worse specimens and I don't give them all a universal pass.  I bought 27 dresses about a month and a half ago and have watched it 10 times since then.  It makes me happy.  Not every movie needs to challenge every neuron in my brain, some of them can just make me happy.  It isn't incredibly deep, but it uses Shakespearean devices to twist its plot, and if some of its plot devices are obvious or trite or not so realistic, well I am fine with that as all I ask of my escapism is to help me escape my reality.  I don't need slavery to realism because well real life is what I am trying to avoid when I watch this stuff.  My reality is harder and more complicated than a rom com, and I am fine if the rom com wanted to airbrush that stuff out.  That is what I want it to do.  And I get really sick of boys being all down on it.  I am sorry this genre isn't aimed at you, you are not its target demographic.  Of course some of you will like it, just like some girls like action-y or war-y pictures that they are not the target demographic for and of course quality comes in here, the higher quality the story and its story telling the higher likelihood to rise above the target demographic.  And boys are the target demographic for like everything practically, so give me something.  Plus I would like to ask if all their targeted stories are slavish to reality (like the laws of physics and the fact that bad guys are way worse shots than good guys the end).
 
OK, rant over.  BUT I say we all start today not being ashamed of the cheesy pop songs and silly genre movies we secretly love.  I am not asking you to go proclaim it on a street corner, I am asking you to defend your crush when others talk it smack.  Go.  That is your mission should you choose to accept it and this blog will not self destruct in fifteen seconds, it will likely take much longer.

4 comments:

Heather K said...

Whoever makes it, it is awesome. I have gone to it, bought the bottled dressing at the front and left to go make my pasta salad.

Way to embrace your rom com there Donald!

Sally said...

I love Desperately Seeking Susan. It's been a guilty pleasure for years. Also, Frenc Kiss.


Verification word: Culad, which I have apparently drunk.

Jim said...

I am a big fan of romantic comedies. I love When Harry Met Sally and can quote it. I love Forget Paris, You've Got Mail ... I'll admit it. I even love Failure to Launch, but that's really for the supporting cast.

After living this life, it's difficult to feel connected to those romantic possibilities, but I still want it and thus still feel connected to the hopefulness and fulfillment these movies offer. Sigh.

Heather K said...

Update: saw The Proposal last night. Had an AMAZING cast who are all really good at what romantic comedies should ask, much better in fact than the movie they were in. Sometimes they rose far above it and started to elevate the material, other times they got bogged down in it.

Also, think film could've been made much better by more rom less com.

Or at least sticking with the com that came from the base situations of the rom and trusting that Bullock, Reynolds, Nelson, White, and Steenbergen could make great honest comedy hay with it (which you bet your ass they could) instead of getting all nervous that the situational com wouldn't get big laughs and going for bigger, cheap artificial laughs at moments that would've worked better if they trusted in the rom even if that would've resulted in softer laughs and more honest emotion.

Verdict: Rent or netflix it if you like this kind of thing, skip it if you don't.