Monday, December 14, 2009

Lucky Punk

We all have been broke or nearly broke sometimes.  Some of us more than others.  I know that feeling where you realize that you have $23.48 to last you until your payday, in a week or ten days.  This is when you try not to use any of it ever, so no more eating or going out.  This is when you eat all of the food left in your cupboards, creating strange meals from a can of chickpeas and some tomato paste or convince yourself that a bag of microwave popcorn is too dinner.  It happens.  And it happened to me frequently until I started seeing Sam because well, he is way better at money than me and also happens to have way more of it than me.
 
Well this past week he went a little overboard on the Christmas spending and the celebrating with some friends at a piano bar where he feels compelled to tip the piano players extravagantly and then also the waitstaff and even the bathroom attendant (PS I hate bathroom attendants, it is weird and creepy) lest anyone feel slighted.  So there he was on the Friday before a Tuesday payday and pretty much broke.  I pointed out that we would be taking public transportation or walking for the events of our weekend, and he whined about it, but I told him it was his own dinged fault.
 
Well when I am this broke I just have to suck it up and deal.  This occaisonally bites me in the ass when I do get paid and go on a bit of a spending spree, but I deal with it all myself, like you do.  Unless you are Sam.
 
So in the apartment we decide to walk to the restaurant, which will be chilly but we will have to walk quite a bit even if we take a bus, so we suck it up.  However, on the way out the door, the doorman to our apartment building chooses this precise minute to pay Sam back $20 he owes him.  And the next day, Sam runs into another doorman, who pays him back $100 we lent him when he hurt his back and was out of work for three weeks about three months ago.  At dinner, one person paid in cash and everyone else split the bill on their credit cards which made Sam somehow end up with nearly $200 to last three or four days while he was broke.  Because that happens.  No.  Wait.  That never motherfreaking happens!!  Not to me!  Not to regular people, just no.
 
I might have told him to fuck off when he got the first $20 because he thought it was hilarious when we had just been talking about how broke he was.  I was less amused.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Oooh! Look! Up there! A spambot!

That sort of thing never happens to me, either. Though when I was really, really broke, I would occasionally get an unexpected/unremembered paycheck just when things were darkest. I was always lucky like that. Not lucky enough to win the lottery, but lucky enough to never quite starve.

Heather K said...

Sally is now referring to a spam comment that I deleted FOREVER!!!!

chrissy. said...

i wish that kinda stuff happened to me! dang lucky people.