Thursday, December 17, 2009

Our Old Lady Neighbor is Crazy and Also a Bitch

For real. I mean she is a bit of a nutty old person (but she is also like 87 years old, so I guess she gets a bit of a pass), but we try to be nice to her and like have her over for dinner, bring her part of our homemade Valentine's dinner as a present, etc. And we try to be gracious about taking all the crazy crap that she gives us for loud parties etc.

Well a little before Thanksgiving we had her over for a dinner she bullied us into having for her, and Sam made cookies (a peanut butter with chocolate chunks and candied spicy walnuts) which she loved, loved, loved but somehow got into her head that I made instead of Sam.

So this week, when Sam made a big batch for a work going away party, Sam saved a few cookies for her. I put them in a ziploc baggy and put the ziploc in a plastic grocery bag and hung it on her doorknob with a little note saying Sam made some cookies and we thought she would like them Merry Christmas.

She returned two of the cookies with a note saying that they were the worst cookies she has ever tasted, and she could not believe that I wouldn't even bother to make her my cookies, and she had never been so insulted and a greeting card is customary. And on and on about how awful we are.

I guess that she took it as a Christmas present, and if she thought it was, yes it was disappointing. But we literally gave almost no indication that it could be a Christmas gift as well as both of us being better bred than to give an old person a gift that wasn't much more proper. We just thought she would like her favorite cookies.

Poor Samicorn is very upset and took it very badly that she didn't like his cookies and that she doesn't think he makes good cookies. Poor guy. Stupid bitchlady.

5 comments:

Sally said...

As you know, I live with a finicky Old Lady myself, though of the feline variety. The fact that you guys take care of her gives me hope for me someday.

Though I also hope that when I am a crabby old lady of 87 or so that I am still intellectually with it enough to not write crank letters when someone has done something nice for me. That my own manners will not have deserted me so much that I would feel the need to do more than say thank you.

Jim said...

Poor Samicorn.

chrissy. said...

i know i already told you this, but that is just straight up rude, old or not. if she didn't like the cookies, she didn't have to say anything. who does that? who goes out of their way to badmouth a gift?

Heather K said...

She has in previous notes (which are not always complainy, sometimes very complimentary) decried me and sames parents and our upbringing. Although the note I speak of was after a party where about 25 very drunk people were at our house until 3am or later and some chick got in a fight with and broke up with her boyfriend in the hall outside her door, so that time it was at least provoked. I would've written a nasty note then too. This time was just bullshit, and I think her parents would be the embarassed ones, in this instance!

Sally said...

I read this entry to Dave last night. He was HORRIFIED. Neither of us can conceive of how this is remotely acceptable behavior. As Chrissy says above, if you don't like the cookies, a simple thank you will suffice.