Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Apartment is next door to a fire

And that meant I awoke in the middle of the night to sirens and bullhorns and helicoptors and beeping and other DISASTER related sounds. One lady (apartment where fire started) was killed, 12 people were injured (mostly smoke inhalation), and a bunch more were evacuated into FREEZING DEATH WINTER cold. So the fact that my sleep was disrupted is sort of well let's just say diminished.

As a result, lots of streets were blocked off when I went to walk to the bus, and there was a news crew broadcasting Live!-like local news crews do-from my front door. Seriously, our lobby was in the shot.

Then my glasses fogged up on the way to the bus stop (scarves do this in FREEZING WINTER DEATH cold), and then the fog froze and I had to scrape my glasses. Again, still less bad than actual death and being evacuated in whatever you can pull onto your pj's.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I'm so glad it wasn't your building. I can't even SAY how glad.


Verification: testi - what you say about a cranky and short-tempered Italian.

Jim said...

I imagine you leaning out the window yelling at the cops and firemen and paramedics and victims to keep it down.

Glad you and Sam are okay.