Thursday, March 04, 2010

Good News and BAD day.

So for the good news: I have been applying to be a volunteer at the Lincoln Park Zoo since last fall. It seems to be a high volume applicant place, so it took a while before I got anything back other than a computer response saying yes you sure did turn your application in now chill out. In like mid-January I got an email inviting me to go to a volunteer info meeting to see if I was still interested and to learn a little bit more about the different volunteer opportunities. I immediately RSVP'd to the one I wanted to go to, and last Saturday I went. It was a bit tedious as those things are wont to be, but I want to do this so bring em on hoops, I will jump through them all. At the end of that I signed up for an interview with the volunteer coordinator.

Yesterday I had my interview with the volunteer coordinator and with a Guest Engagement Leader, and then end result is that I will be an inaugural Guest Engagement Ambassador on Wednesdays all summer at the zoo. I am SUPER excited and super pleased, and I might sort of be their dream candidate, and the interview went awesome because they seemed to really like me and they talked to me about such things as the super cool nailpolish that I had bought earlier this week from Sephora.This color (mostly but just make it metallic).

Now for the bad day:
Something is totally effed with a thing at work and it may or may not be even a human error--it has to do with some sort of incidental benefits (not health care or any big deal thing, incidental I swear). Another person realized that it was affecting them, and their response was to come up to my desk and yell at me and yell at me and scream at me and berate me and to not just dwell on this one item but bring into it any and everything in the history of time. Basically insinuating that I treat this person and their team as lesser and well everyone actually does that, and that I refuse to help them, and that when I do help them it is bad help and that we don't even have a human resources department (which kind of made me go, umm yeah that is true, we have 12 people working here, me and a part time person kind of do the best we can to solve human resources problems but unfortunately everyone kind of has to do a little bit themselves or more but yeah way to notice). This person refused to let me interject to try to better understand the problem, to direct them to someone who could better help them, etc. Eventually I just asked this person to please stop yelling at me, to which they responded by YELLING at me that they were not yelling. I felt like a little kid in trouble or like I was in a major fight with my boyfriend or my mom or I was being attacked on the street corner by a schizophrenic crazy person. It kind of made me want to go home and cry, so we are doing Mexican food out today. And I think a margarita may be IMPERATIVE.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Boooo to yelling people.
Yaaaaaay to the zoo- you will be great at this- I can totally see you there.