Monday, February 11, 2008

Mac and Cheese

That is what I am eating right now. I have been kind of obsessed with it lately, but not the Kraft variety, the homemade style (or some sort of approximation). No one at my home ever made mac and cheese from scratch, so I have no mom recipe to compare it with, but I love it. What is there not to love about warm gooey cheese?

The one I am eating right now I baked in my oven--it is a tv dinner version that is tasty if unnaturally orange. I had one last Friday that could've been richer, and there is an excellent one up in Andersonville that I have been missing (it includes red peppers).

Tomorrow night Sam and I are going to celebrate Valentine's Day. We are going out to dinner, but I am not exactly sure where. I am going to wear my new dress (that I bought for $10 this weekend at Nordstrom's Rack). We have to celebrate early because I am working at Pier 1 on V-day and next weekend Chrissy's (well and mine now too) friend tbert is coming to town.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

My mom never made scratch mac and cheese either. It was always Kraft. Gotta recipe for home baked?

Heather K said...

Sadly no. Several friends of mine do, and apparently there is a good one on a martha stewart website. I just like trying it out at restuarants.

Also, my affection for Kraft is also still true. I treat them as almost two entirely separate food types.

Anonymous said...

If you ever get to Portland, you must obviously visit Montage. http://www.montageportland.com/ They're known for their macaroni & cheese. Because they have at least seven different kinds.

Dan Savage was FANTASTIC. SRO crowd, with people sitting in the aisles and on the floor. Funny, biting, but consistent on the idea that consent, communication, compassion and sensitivity are the most important ingredients in any kind of human relationship. It was a great event.