Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Voting

I voted. It made my whole day better. I like voting, even if it is for very small things like county commissioner or anything like that.

However the following was an editorial in my hometown newspaper (hat tip to Lauren J for posting it) that kind of makes my skin crawl. This is where I am from people, this was on the editorial page.

"Men presidents only

I think that having a woman president would be a bad idea for our country. Women are not meant to rule countries and be in charge. They are meant to make decisions but not confirm them.

Our president deals with some countries that don't respect or allow women in leadership positions. I wonder if the United States would have more terrorist attacks because we would be seen as weak with a woman leader. I agree that women can do many things, but leave the ruling of the countries to the men.

BRITTANY BAYLES, 13, Kennewick "


Seriously people?

6 comments:

-al said...

i was going to plant my tongue firmly in my cheek and make a 'sexist' comment, but instead i'll comment on her assertion that "Our president deals with some countries that don't respect or allow women in leadership positions."
our current president's method of 'dealing' with these countries (see 'shock and awe, occupation) probably does more to inspire the outrage of terrorists than having a woman in a leadership position ever would.

RGC said...

i'll say here what i said on lauren's

i will use this example to better explain why i lived in the 3-cities for barely a moment more than high school years.

Anonymous said...

That girl needs some Modern Political History. Margaret Thatcher, Mary Robinson, Queen Elizabeths 1 & 2, Indira Gandhi, Benazir Bhutto, anybody?

Of course, everyone knows that our wombs require more blood than our brains, which is why we're so emotional and why we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads about the state of the world.

Heather K said...

I know guys, I know. It kind of freaks me out. My boss at work was just horrified and appalled that any girl today would grow up thinking this to be true.

I am thinking hoe schooled, but not necessarily--we have a large community of people who homeschool their children in the tri-cities because apparently Satan starts early at the public schools.

-al said...

"I am thinking hoe schooled"
Me too!
for more proof of the home school mindset being scary visit Homeschool Alumni. My cousin (A reformed homeschooler, himself) turned me on to this eye-opening site.

Anonymous said...

that doesn't sound like a 13 year old. it sounds more like a stupid man using his daughter's name to spread his own agenda--whether that really is to further male domination or to gain female votes to clinton.

it won't shift my vote though. although i do agree--that area we grew up in was just rife with ignorance.