Friday, March 20, 2009

Recessed

Yeah, so my life met the recession a little first hand last week or two week ago. My hours at work have been cut (and my pay too since I am hourly) to 35 hours a week, but the surprising thing is that I freaking LOVE it. My show is up and running and busy, busy. I get paid less but not CRAZY less, and since I had Sam's help in consolidating my credit card debt I am now paying it down faster AND have a savings account towards a rainy day.

Basically all it means is that I get paid a bit less but I get to go home earlier everyday. Or I can have a half day once a week and still go home early a couple of days. Plus I always take a for sure one hour lunch--sometimes meeting Sam for it. How can that be bad. It has made me a better employee because I have a reason to stay focused and a happier employee because I don't feel like the job is imprisoning me. Apparently all I needed to like my job was do the same job but for less hours a week. It was proposed to me as a temporary measure, but when the economy straightens itself back out and it can be time for me to go back to full time, I will probably ask to stay at 35 hours a week. I am just soooooooo much happier because of it.

Here's hoping this is all the recession/depression does to my life, and I hope it only touches all my readers out there in a similarly serendipitous way, if it has to touch them at all.

3 comments:

Jim said...

The people at my Target have very much had the opposite reaction from yours.

And according to the word verification, this comment is "cherful" or full of cher.

Do you believe in life after love?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you feel like this change has given you your life back rather than taken it from you. I hope things continue in such a positive way.

Dropped At Birth said...

that's awesome that it has worked out so well for you!