Monday, August 17, 2009

Possible Project

I have been thinking about being better about focusing on doing productive and enriching things outside of work. Like art projects or exercise or better eating rather than watching crap on the tivo. But I am not sure what to do and I am lazy. Although I have been getting a lot of good reading done lately so I am not totally a a wusstastic washout.

Anyway, I probably should get beyond the total move in to Sam's before I start anything but here are my thoughts on the horizon.

1) Make audio recordings of the solo autobiographical things I want to work on and post them here and maybe other places for feedback. This is an especially good idea because I think it is an ideal first step to see where exactly I need work. As I feel I am many steps away from getting a space and just doing it as well as from hitting open mic nights and just doing it. And I think this is the right first step that should maybe illuminate some of the other steps I must take.

2) Starting a new blog. This blog would document every bit of food I eat for an enitre year. It is inspired by some art I was reading about in the New Yorker as well as being an ideal writing exercise. Plus I think the variance between the total junk food crap I like, health-ish food we make at home, Sam's forays into foodiness, and the great restaurants we hit in Chicago and elsewhere would make a great variation. Also I think it might be a bit of a diet aid because I might be able to see where I go wrong and/or at least stop eating quite so many candy bars at work.

Idea number 2 however has the marking of a MAJOR time consuming undertaking. What does anyone think? Which should I take up?

6 comments:

Heather K said...

Obviously I would still write in this blog for non-meal/food related bloggings.

Sally said...

It could be a really interesting piece of writing.

On the other hand, you are planning a wedding. That might be enough project for you for a while.

Heather K said...

Well, yes. I am planning a wedding. And it occurs to me now that wedding planning has the major making of a blog which many, many others have done before.

So should I do a my hell in wedding planning blog? Or other projects.

Sally said...

I just don't know.

I DO know that I am now living in Chi-Town, Missy, and we need to celebrate that. You can't come see the apartment until the furniture is here (today!) and the pictures are hung (also today! I hope), and I figure out how the damn door buzzer works. (That's going to involve Dave and a set of cell phones, I think.)

AND I know that I once planned a wedding that several friends said was "one of the best weddings they'd ever attended." Because it was a full and honest expression of who we were at the time. So I am HAPPY to share that expertise with you.

You should know, by the way, that wedding dresses are sized differently than all other dresses. You might normally wear a six, but your wedding dress will be an 8 or a 10. Because the manufacturers are assholes, I suspect. What sort of jerks add stress about weight to a woman's wedding planning? Anyway, remember, that number doesn't mean shit, you won't have become fatter just by walking into a store.

Sally said...

That last sentence was not intended to imply that you are fat NOW, by the way, because you aren't.

At least, you weren't when I saw you in June. I suppose you could have ballooned madly in the last 8 weeks.

Heather K said...

Best Comments EVER!

I would love to pick your brain on that business. I think that who we are is where we are going with this.