Sunday, November 12, 2006

Conversation Terrorist

That is what I am. Lately I have had a few specific interchanges where I have actually been so much of one that I noticed my reign of terror. I take people hostage with my conversation. They can't run and they can't hide, and they never know when it will strike next. Actually, my friends do know when it will strike next because they are used to it. Strangers, on the other hand, are totally screwed. They start talking to the friendly girl in the store, and the next thing they know they can't leave.

The sad thing is that it occasionally makes me wonder if they think I have no friends and that is why I am so desperate to talk to them, but really the desperation is mostly boredom. Well boredom and laziness. If I don't talk to strangers (or as I like to call it, engage with customers) I might have to do work. Strangers are more interesting then work, and it only works with real strangers. I can talk to a stranger who is shopping in my store way longer then I can talk to a friend of mine who is shopping in the store because it can still be considered shopping if it is a stranger.

I like talking to strangers, and I would even take their candy if they offered it.

PS Way excited that my spellcheck came back with a message about not detecting any errors.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No spelling errors. However, "I might have to do work. Strangers are more interesting then (than) work, and it only works with real strangers." It appears that blogger's spell-check cares not for grammar.

Jim said...

That was cold, man.

I enjoyed talking to "strangers" at the gas station, but that was only after I'd seen them so often that they were more like friends than customers. I guess I don't like talking to strangers strangers.

Anonymous said...

yes, it was cold. i don't know, i get such a thrill out of busting heather's chops, you know? it's just more fun than it should be.

Heather K said...

You do seem to get a thrill out of busting my chops. I however have a very particular relationship with grammar. Basically, I have my way with it whenever I want wherever I want.

Margaret said...

Now that mental image is a real winner. :D