Sunday, November 05, 2006

I am so a person on an Oprah episode

Yesterday I was talking to my sister on the phone (she is starting a business as a wedding/special events consultant and giving up teaching), and she couldn't get over the fact that I wasn't coming home for either holiday this fall and winter. I tried to explain to her that I am poor in a way she has never been, and it is just too expensive for me to fly home for a holiday (especially when I can only be home for like 4 days tops). It just isn't worth it if I can go home in the summer for like a week and a half with my ticket costing half as much. I love my family, but I barely have money to replace a pair of shoes I wear at work all the time, so paying eight or nine hundred dollars to go home isn't happening. That is almost as much money as I take home in a whole month. If she wanted to buy me a ticket for Christmas or something that is a whole different story (of course).

That is a long intro to me going home this summer for my ten year high school reunion (because I think that I am going to go). This means I have nine months (give or take) to get thinner and in better shape, so that I will look absolutely fabulous at the reunion. I was kind of dowdy and nerdy in high school (actually subtract the kind of and insert extremely), and I am easily way better looking now (it helps that now I like myself which definitely wasn't true then). This means I am a cliche!!! I am like all of those women who want to go on Oprah because she is their only hope, and I really am like them. It would be so awesome to be a knock out at my reunion. I also should be putting money away now to buy the most perfect dress ever. Hmmm, way too much to think about. It is like I am in a bad romantic comedy movie. Oh my god, if I meet or remeet someone from high school there and fall in love someone please shoot me. Seriously, shoot me. That seems unlikely to happen. I am way to cynical, and they would all have had to have major life/personality transplants (which I guess is possible, I mean I have a whole different life and am a much perkier person--again, I need to stop thinking about this). I am really concerned about the getting thinner thing. It is consuming way too much of my thinking (and ironically making me crave all the things I should avoid if I am going to make it actually happen--like hagen daas, I want some right now, dulce de leche).

First I might need to get some discipline though. Anybody seem some? I seem to be in short supply.

I would also like to thank my loyal CMSU friends for piping up in the comment section and to welcome Joann into the fold. I am fascinated and flattered that you find me interesting, and don't worry I will keep writing. Nobody has ever been able to really shut me up yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i really, really should write something pithy here, but i'm going to acknowledge that you hit the nail on the head with by stating that you're much more attractive, then following it up with "(it helps that now I like myself which definitely wasn't true then)."
i truly think that attractiveness is very much derived from self percdeption. women confident in their appearance and appeal to others are, in my opinion, much more attractive than those who just aren't convinced of their own appeal.

as far as losing weight, give up soda, walk one extra bus or EL stop farther than you normally do. and no food after 9pm. that's about all it'll take.
i did pretty much the same thing, and i'm down about 25lbs. oh yeah, i also cut WAY back on the booze. (toughest part)

Margaret said...

I say, to hell with trying to look skinny. Stupid as it sounds, embrace the way you look. I'm trying to eat healthier, and you know, move around and all, but I'm NOT going to stress about it. It isn't worth craving delicious fried things all the time to be 10 pounds lighter.

Alan gives good advice though. Also drink lots of water.

No food after 9? How do you do it?? That's my prime popcorn-eating time. I bet you go to bed at a reasonable time. I don't ususally go to bed until about 12:30.

Anonymous said...

For some reason since I had the baby I never feel like eating anymore. Pregnancy does weird things to a body. I lost 30 pounds in 3 days after he was born! Seriously. Now I only eat one meal a day and a snack.

It is also a really good idea to start drinking nothing but water. Pop is an addictive poison. I'm really interested in health, so I've read about all the bad things they inject into animals and all of the pesticides they use on vegetables. That keeps you from wanting to eat anything at all.

So that works. That and having a baby.

Joann

Heather K said...

Probably not going to have a baby. However, I only drink diet soda and not all that much over and entire week. I drink close to the recommended amount of water, and I walk a mile to work and a mile back five days a week (I only walk to work), and I hardly drink at all.

I do however eat lots of crap. I could probably eat less crap, but if I eat less crap I am not giving up diet soda.

Really the problem is that I have already lost that first bit of giving-up-pop-and-moving-more weight. The little bit of weight I would appreciate losing is going to take more work and a way more significant change than I have previously done. We'll see. I have lots of time between now and then (to either do something or say fuck it, I like crap food more then I like the idea of looking good in a bikini). Or I could always write a hearfelt letter to Oprah, so she would subsidize me a personal trainer at the local gym, you know to make my dreams come true.

Anonymous said...

so you're gonna go, huh? i'm still unsure. i might be out of the country at about that time (australia or france/germany) and then there's the family trip to lala land...and i'm pretty sure all this happens about that time...soooooo...we'll see. but you know what you could totally do. stick a picture of me on a popsicle stick and hold it up. haha. that would help rid you of your high school identity. ;) you know though...i never thought you were nerdy. then again, i never thought i was either!