Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dinner Party

I sort of cobbled one out of nothing this afternoon. For tomorrow.

However, Sallyacious is bringing a salad, so there is that. I am going to buy the bread. The dessert I want to make is super easy to make, I just need to make sure I do it early in the morning, so it has plenty of time to chill (it is a French Silk Pie). I am making pasta with peas and pancetta again, but this time no parm. I am going to make more of it this time, but it was also super easy, so that will take me 45 minutes.

Now I just need to think of some veggie something that will be a main dish for Sara Jo who doesn't eat meat. I think I just may make some grilled veggies with Parmesan cheese. That would be tasty, and I can maybe hit the green city market to find some.

Actually all laid out there it seems easier. Sam and I have already sort of cleaned things up, so the house should easily be ready.

3 comments:

sally said...

I think it's very sweet of you to do. I don't know that I'm capable of entertaining at the last minute.

Sally said...

That was fun last night. Thanks for hosting and making that awesome pasta and the PIE. Oh. MY. God, the pie.

Heather K said...

The pie is super easy. Well, if like I do you fake the crust and just buy one, but if you want to make a graham cracker crust or simple butter crust do it.

The filling requires some serious beating (I used a hand held mixer) but is:

1/2 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup sugar

Blend together until creamed (which means they stopped acting like cookies dough and started to be a smooth cohesive mixture)

Next add 2 large eggs BUT blend them in one at a time and blend for AT LEAST 2 minutes between each egg (since there is no cooking, be sure to use very fresh eggs)

Finally add 2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (melted but not too hot) and 1 tsp of vanilla extract and blend those in. Then pour into the pie shell and cool for a few hours.

This tastes best with something creamy like cool whip or whipped cream (which I have flavored with chambourd or something like that) or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.