Friday, July 25, 2008

My thoughts on stuff

The people you meet when you are in a liquor store at 8am is kind of interesting.  Several of them seem to be homeless junkies/alcoholics.  There is the lady who buys lots and lots of lotto tickets, and the handful of office alcoholics who are buying something small and covert to doctor up their coffee.  Sometimes the homeless man will sing, songs with no real lyrics just a series of sounds, they tend to be sort of blues inspired.  Sometimes they are mournful and other times they get kind of peppy.  It seems to depend on the weather.
 
Now, why, you may ask, would I know what the heck is happening in a liquor store at 8 am?  Valid question.  It turns out the liqour store on the main floor of my work building has the cheapest ice cold pop around.  At 7-11 it is $1.07 for a can of pop and like $1.75 (after tax) for a 20 oz.  Even the fountain pop is a lot.  The CVS and the Walgreens don't have better prices (or only slightly better prices) for the 20oz and no single can options, and their drinks are only coolish, not ice cold.  At McDonald's you can get a large drink for $1 + tax which is nice, but way, way, way more soda than I should allow myself to drink, and the lines are always epic!  However, at the liqour store a can of ice cold diet coke is 63 cents!  Awesome.  I feel like I have been transported to my childhood with prices like that.  Plus it is exactly the summer caffeination that I look for to start my morning.  So yeah, I hit the liquor store at 8am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. i finally started a blog outside of myspace--i was so bad at keeping up with that one cause..well..never wanted to sign onto myspace. just sort of forgot about it. anyhow, here's the link!

http://transcendentdescendent.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

One wonders how you figured this out? That the likker store is the source of the cheap pop?

Anonymous said...

Oh. God. Ignore my pretentious name up there, would you please? I wasn't thinking as I was typing. I was doing the keyboard version of blathering.

Heather K said...

I was sent in to buy a bag of ice (which they also sell) to use in a water pitcher for a big day long meeting, and I saw the pop which they had labeled for more money than they rang up which was still a better deal, and yeah they are my caffeine connection now.