Thursday, July 24, 2008

So much stuff

It seems like I am getting lots of sad news from friends lately.  I have had several friends going through particularly rough experiences of several different varieties lately.  Normally (or maybe just earlier) I would've written about these here in the blog, but none of this stuff is my story and in fact it only affects me because I don't like to see people I love having to have hard times.  I didn't really think it is or was my place to talk about it, but it also has been a rather large thing in my life lately, so I am going to write about it very obliquely like this.  I just love them and think about them a lot and want to do anything I can to help them, if there is anything else I can do besides love them.  And that is the end of what I speak about that.
 
This also got me to reflecting about the big changes in my life over the last year.  I have a whole new day job.  I no longer have a night job (the night job that has been a part of my life since I moved to Chicago).  I am in a play that has essentially an open (if weird) sort of run with writers who write for me.  I have a kitteh.  I have about 15 to 20 more pounds of me (things I am working to remedy).  I have free time and sleep.  And most importantly, I have Sam who is just wonderful, and I am so, so SOOOOOOO lucky to know him much less have in my life in the way that he is.  Altough, if last summer you told me that this would happen I would'v laughed in your face.  Because at this time last summer I was totally consumed with phone boyfriend, and I was pretty convinced he was going to move to Chicago as soon as his being a cop in Oregon thing fell through.  It turns out, that I am now really, really glad he never moved here--something that would've stunned me at this time last year.
 
Big year passed, big year coming up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know i've been really bad about keeping in touch lately--but i blame the big changes in my own life overlapping with the big changes in your life...but...now you gotta tell me....WHO THE HELL IS PHONE BOYFRIEND???? :) or you can direct me to an earlier blog period so i can catch up at some point.

or reblog--the episode as a "let's reminisce about a year ago..." post.

we must talk. seriously. we must. i will call you sometime this weekend. and i fully expect that since we are now in the same time zone...that's gotta work to our benefit right?

Heather K said...

Jenny,see June 12, 2007 for some answers. It was a guy I kind of crushed in in grad school who was taken while I was there and not so much last summer when we had an intense phone relationship that we claimed (at the time) wasn't dating. It was very DRAMATIC. As happens when you fall for actors. He is a small town cop/police officer/Republican/born again Christian/member of a church in Moscow that I call the crazy church. Needless to say it as doomed from the start.

Anonymous said...

seriously...what is it with you and crazy religious zealots? :)

Heather K said...

Oh Jen, I wish I knew, but I seemed to have passed that. Sam is about as religious as I am. He might be a tiny bit more religious, but not really noticably. I have spent more time in church. His family is Espicopalian-ish.

I am past the zealot phase (please God!).-

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely PERFECT description of him (Phone Boyfriend). I laughed out loud. Dave & I saw him in uniform the other day, with a couple of other officers, and I really really, had to work very hard to not lay a big old smooch on him and say "I love a man in uniform".

I wanted to because I knew it would embarrass the hell out of him, and I didn't for the same reason. Plus, I'm not clear on the boundary between "being funny" and "assaulting an officer" and chose to err on the side of caution. I probably should figure that out.

As it was, he had no choice but to introduce us, and was mortified to have to explain that we are *not* friends of his from church, but, rather, theatre heathens. Hee. It was fun to watch him squirm.