Thursday, April 09, 2009

Castle

I really, really enjoy the new Captian Tightpants show even if it has nothing to do with brownshirts or outerspace.  I am glad that Captain Tightpants is back, and he is so charming and wonderful on this show.  Plus I like the chick cop who is tough and yet not so hard ass as she wants to be portrayed.  They do the same old same old crime mystery thing and don't really add too much of a twist on that, but whatever I find formulaic mystery/crime tv really, really comforting even if it is bad.  I mean I enjoy it more when it is better, but I will still enjoy it bad.  It is like my tv Linus blanket.  Anyway, I think this is a good version of it on the sheer charming force of captain tightpant's personality.
 
I also am thouroughly enjoying the newest (now like 16 month old) Jennifer Weiner book Certain Girls.  Very cool, very interesting although I checked it out with the like girliest stack of books.  I got that (which was the least embarassing girly since it actually is a good smart book, but the other two were paperback Georgette Heyer's.  Paperback from when like Harlequinn romance was the only people publishing her in trashy bodice ripping covers (well not really because her books have no trashy, like the most that happens is at the end of the book the hero "embraces" the heroine).  Lately she has been reprinted in good nice copies (some in hardcover that I kind of want to own every single solitary one of because I love them, they make me happier when I open them, much like watching episodes of the West Wing).  Anyway, good books all.  Kind of embarrassing to have checked by the security guard at the door to the library.

2 comments:

sally said...

Yay Georgette Heyer!! I still don't understand why nobody's turned Devil's Cub into a movie. I mean, DAMN. I love that I am the person who introduced you to her books.

I never finished Certain Girls. I LOVED Good in Bed, and I was pretty happy with In Her Shoes, but I just couldn't get into Certain Girls. I was also not that keen on Little Earthquakes. But Weiner isn't the first author whose first novel I loved and whose additional works have appealed to me less and less. Amy Herrick was like that too.

On the other hand, I continue to adore Eleanor Lipman's work. To the extreme that when she auctioned off a spot in her next novel (the money went to the First Amendment Project), Dave bought it for me for my birtdhay. So. The next Eleanor Lipman novel--due out this spring, I believe--should have a supporting or cameo character with my name.

Heather K said...

Oh shut up!! That is awesome. I will now for sure read that book.

I didn't like Little Earthquakes when I started it, but warmed up to it near the end, and do like it even considering I was very displeased with some of the endings. I have not finished Certain Girls, but I am loving it so far, although I do admit to being jarred every single chapter when we switch narrators.