Wednesday, April 22, 2009

cooking

I made my first foray into pouch cooking last night, and even though I kinda screwed some of it up, it was still totally delicious and super easy.  Bascially I washed and cut up some veggies, soaked some couscous for a bit, thawed out some chicken, threw all of the above into a bit of parchment paper, added salt and pepper, dumped some vermouth on it and stuck it in a 400 degree overn for 25 minutes.  Out it came with juicy chicken, perfectly and fragrantly steamed veggies, and sooooo yummy.  I messed up on the couscous prep, and I could've used better veggies (but I had to improvise), but I am soooo doing this again.  Mostly because we have a freezer stuffed with chicken, but yeah.
 
Tonight it is going to have red potatoes and cherry tomatoes in it.  And some other stuff, not sure what.  A yellow pepper?  Onions and carrots?  The chicken, and maybe white or red wine instead of vermouth.  Or vermouth again.  I don't know.  I do what I want.  And I cooked it inside of parchment paper, that I then threw away when finished.  Ok, so not eco friendly, but Heather's approach to dishwashing friendly (ask Chrissy, she will tell y'all, she was my roomie).
 
All in all, I might be addicted.

1 comment:

sally said...

That sounds awesome. Don't you lov easy tasty cooking? And parchment paper biodegrades pretty quickly. It's not like you were using tinfoil.

Something to consider: Red wine will change the color of your chicken. If you don't care, that's fine. But don't be shocked if/when it happens.