Saturday, April 18, 2009

Parents in town (not mine)

Sam's. I went out to lunch with his mom and we hit up the Art Institute's student art show. I didn't buy anything, but probably will try to buy from a jewelry maker I found there in the future (her stuff alone may make me pierce my ears, it is that cool). I would post a link, but I can't find her card offhand.

Then all parents and boyfriend went out to a French bistro for dinner where I had amzing sweetbreads and grilled veggies with cream chive sauce (yummy glands and pancreas!!!) and chocolate mousse with chocolate sauce. After that we saw a set of Monty Alexander at the jazz showcase where the highlight was his trio covering "No Woman, No Cry." Yeah that is right a jazz trio covering some Bob Marley (and Alexander himself is a pianist, so it was a very piano forward cover and totally available on itunes). The best part was, Sam's dad and I both immediately knew we knew it, then quickly knew it was a rock song and famous, then I knew it was Bob Marley, and he immediately knew it was no woman/no cry. Very fun table moment. Sam's mom thought he was a bit too much of a show off piano player, but the rest of us enjoyed it.

Today we did some errand running with his mom. Then we were going to go to restaurant for dinner that we fortuitously discovered was closed before we went there, and we are now waiting for time to leave for our reservation at the Jean Georges Restaurant Vong's Thai Kitchen (yummy tea and noodle dishes await). Then 12th Night at Chicago Shakes.

No comments: