Thursday, June 25, 2009

Holy 30th Birthday

It is upon me.  Like really, really upon me.  Like Sunday.  And I had some good things planned and then thought I would fill the rest with Pride and then head home for the family wedding which would include some birthday for me as well, and then Sam got excited.  I also think he is probably trying to atone a bit. 
 
By the way, sidebar--he has attended his first AA meeting and it seems to have made a very strong impact on him and he plans to keep going to that specific one and maybe add another one or two to his weekly rounds at first.  He sounds very different in how he speaks about this now, like a switch went from kinda get it, to oh shit i get it in his brain.  I am still letting this progress to see what really happens and taking it day by day, but I feel calmly optimistic about this.
 
So, next tuesday is the BNL concert in Grant Park with Taste of Chicago.  Sunday is the Pride Parade (which has absolutely nothing to do with my birthday but it will be a fun party where many of my friends will be out and about for) and a wind down from Pride event at friends' house that will likely have some sort of dessert confection with candles on it.  BUT Saturday night is where things get a little out of control (and totally awesome).
 
Sam and I will be picked up by a limo and driven to dinner (totally walking distance from his house but whatever) at Graham Elliot a restaurant by a James Beard nominee (and maybe winner) who was on last week's Top Chef Masters, Graham Elliot Bowles.  Bring it on molecular gastronomy!  Then we get back into limo and drive around Chicago to pick up a select few friends (sorry other friends but I just couldn't take everyone).  The last friends are way up North, so we drive down Lake Shore Drive (with champagne and sparkling grape juice) to Navy Pier where we get on a boat to take a boat tour/ride.  Oh yeah, we get on that boat in time to watch the fireworks that happen every Wednesday and Saturday night during the summer from Lake Michigan over the city skyline.  WHAT? 
 
There is no way this won't be totally awesome!!  And way too extravangant, but Sam keeps telling me I only turn 30 once.

7 comments:

Heather K said...

Forgot to mention that upon telling my sister about this, her comment was, "Wait, so you are going to be in a limo tht long and you are NOT going to throw up? said very skeptically.

She has an excellent point. I have a long history or carsickness, and limos and I are at the MOST odds.

chrissy. said...

oh man, i hope it turns out as awesome as it sounds! and i hope you don't get carsick. maybe Dramamine beforehand?

Sally said...

There are pressure points on your wrists that help with motion sickness. You can even get some bracelets that apply pressure in the right places.

Have a happy, happy birthday. Sam is right, you're only 30 once.

Dropped At Birth said...

that sounds so fun!!! wish i could celebrate it with you but do something totally embarrassing for me instead!

cheers!

Jim said...

You have inspired me to have an awesome 30th as well. You better kick some ass, red!

Also, are you talking to Sam about his AA stuff? Do you just let him talk to you about whatever he wants?

Word Verification = "fakere" A word that pretends to be another word.

Jim said...

Oh, and, thanks for your consistent updating of this Blog. I've always got something to check when I get online. :)

Heather K said...

I mostly just let Sam talk about it when he wants. We had a big conversation about us the day after his first meeting where he volunteered a lot of talk about it.

My goal is to just let him heal how he needs to and to let him do it. As long as he continues to go, I don't think I NEED him to talk about it.