Monday, June 01, 2009

Work Fail

I have a coworker who is a bit of an exacting asshole who loves to jump on other mistakes and fly them like flags. I am also in a position to support him with administrative assistance, so often I am in a position to do things for him. But he is very exacting while still being resistant to offering help in any way like not even feeling obligated to give me the full and correct information on something. I feel it is not shocking that this leads to me screwing up. I screwed up a few weeks ago when I ordered letterhead.

I mean, I thought it was ok from the PDF proof and the communication to help me read it and approve it. I thought it was ok. I could've gotten a paper proof, but it would've added another week onto the production time, and this coworker was already breathing fire that this letterhead was a month too late. So I thought it was ok, as best as I could tell, and I opted for speed instead of total surety. And that seems to have been the wrong choice. The letterhead is wrong. It is too small and printed in not exactly the right place and looks overall kinda weird.

This is the second time I have made a major purchase for his division and something went majorly wrong. This is the second time the catalyst has been the pressure and even the voice raising (not quite to yelling) that he has done to me about what I am ordering.

When I have done orders like this for other divisions, there have been no mistakes in the year I have been there. I have taken a lot longer time (well, just the time needed to insure it is done right), and no one has yelled at me or put crazy undue pressure. Well not entirely true. My boss yells but only because he doesn't realize how loud his voice is, and I will yell right back and then he quiets down, apologizes, and shapes up. But shocking, letting me do my job allows me to do my job, who knew?!

Anyway, the discovery of said fail just ruined what had been a good morning. Awesome! Thanks Douchey McDoucheface.

4 comments:

Heather K said...

And now he is on my case to whine to someone about something he wants and has been told no. I told him I escalated it and had no success, he can escalate it himself. I wanted to add or shut up and leave me alone.

Jim said...

You should set him on fire. Or maybe just a controlled fire in his office.

Word Verification: "rehitco" = a company specializing in hitting again.

Heather K said...

This morning I discovered the secret to dealing with him. Unfortunately, I may not be very good at executing it. I need to just walk away and not get drawn in. No explaining, no discussing, no talking, no chatting. Impart my information, respond with simple yes or no and RETREAT to my desk!!!!

I am working on it.

Jim said...

That sounds better, still, keep fire as a backup. Maybe carry some matches you can squeeze when he gets really pissy.