Monday, June 15, 2009

WaMu Chase sucks my balls

Or it would if I had them.
 
A few weeks ago, I realized that I never got a new Chase debit/check card when all the correspondance from the WaMu becoming Chase told me I would, and I was worried that all of suddden my debit card would stop working.  So I go into a WaMu branch to ask them to order me one (that seemed correct as I was a WaMu customer originally), but they can't do that, they in fact can barely find my account.  They then tell me that because my account was opened in Washington and is still routed to Washington state WaMu which has now fully transitioned to Chase (they are doing state by state transitioning), they cannot request that for me.  In fact about all they can do for me is what an ATM can do for me.  Which is fine 90% of the time but not fine when any minute now (you don't know when) your ATM card could get shut off.  Oh yes, your ATM/Checking card that you use for practically everything!!!!  But apparently I can "try" online or certainly go into a Chase bank and get things situated.
 
Alright fine.  At this point I am not too miffed, I though that might be the case.  So I go to a Chase bank (actually I go twice because the first time I had forgotten to put my ID back in my wallet, totally my fault not theirs no biggy whatever).  When I go into a Chase here in IL, they conceded that my acocunt has basically become Chase, but not really, and they cannot see it in their computer systems, so basically here in Illinois they can't help me--although guy who was there when I didn't have my ID was totally willing to try to help me.  So thanks for that Chase branch on the corner of Adams and Wabash.
 
So, I go down to Washington Mutual down the street where they can at least process my deposit but can only kind of give me the cash back I want.  Ok, it was a lot of cash back as I was restocking petty cash for work, but I have plenty to cover that in my account already AND I was putting even more money in (which will all have extra holds because they don't recognize me totally as a WaMu/Chase customer but as some fake not quite Chase customer).  Which I think is a totally crappy way for these banks to treat me for something that is their FAULT anyway.  I didn't fail, WaMu did, and I have been a prefectly decent customer over the years.  Not exemplary but perfectly fine.
 
Anyway, I got what I needed for today, but at this point it seems unlikely that anyplace here in Illinois will be able to get me a new debit card before my debit card gets shut off, thanks for that!  However, if I go to the bank while I am back in Washington, they should be able to help me get a new check/debit/bank card, but lord knows if they will be able to mail it to me.  Woo hoo!  This has been so fun.  But I tweeted @chasebank about it, and hopefully they will try to help me.  Dbags!

9 comments:

Jim said...

If you get a new card in Washington, will it work anywhere, or just in Washington?

Heather K said...

Well hopefully it will work everywhere, but I am afraid that I won't get a new card here since everyone in Washington apparently already got their new cards weeks or months ago.

Illinois people are just getting their new cards.

Sally said...

As near as I can tell, though being informed of the new card happening (at the WaMu in Rogers Park on Friday morning), new cards for those of us in Idaho who opened our accounts in Washington or Oregon haven't yet received them EITHER.

I loved WaMu. I was a fiercely loyal customer. Chase, you're not making any points with me thus far.

Verification: midedidi, which sounds like something you sing when you've forgotten the words.

Heather K said...

Go to a WaMu in Pullman and request your new card now. Have it in hand before you leave.

I too loved WaMu, but never was too impressed with my roommates Chase. Alas there is no convenient bank in Chicago that seems WaMu-ian, and there really isn't one that I would be able to use on the West Coast while home on vacay. Suck.

chrissy. said...

holy shert that seems like a lot of bother. can you just open a new account in IL?

Heather K said...

Well, the fun thing is that if I do that I will have a two week hold on like everything that goes in and out of the account which is why I never did it before. That is a whole lot of bother too!

What I don't get is that if you are a giant bank, why can't you take care of this shit? I cannot be their only client like this.

Dropped At Birth said...

hmmm...i too, am a wamu/chase customer. but i never received mail notifying me of my debit card's impending demise...

i wonder if i should be worried? i never carry cash--everything is done by that card...and i'm due to travel in a week...it would really blow if it turns off while traveling...

Sally said...

There are no WaMu's in Washington. Or Oregon. Or Idaho. They are all now Chase.

schlange said...

Hey you rank 3rd in Google for "Chase Sucks!"

Nice work and yes they do. I had a similar experience except I opened my account in CA and moved to WA where I haven't been able to use an ATM for 2 months.

Now they are forcing us all to use their crap web site instead of wamu.com. It's the final straw for me. I am switching to wellsfargo or BofA asap.

It's so odd that they somehow think people don't move or something? There must be thousands of people in our same situation.