Friday, March 16, 2007

Day 13

Of thirteen straight days of work at one job or another. Two of those days I had five hour shifts only, and two of those days (including tonight) included both jobs (giving me a 14 hour day with commuting). Tonight after work (part two) I have a big going away bash for my friend Kristy and her husband Mike which I wouldn't miss for anything. Then I might die.

Actually, it hasn't been too terribly bad. I mean I have had bouts of the tired, and nights of being in bed before ten, but I have also had late nights out. I have even gone places and done things not related to work (jobs 1 or 2). Plus, this isn't as exhausting as the nannying/pier 1 from the summer. There are no toddlers involved and no dirty diapers either. Plus one job involves lots of sitting, so I am not even running around all that much.

The bash tonight may be another story entirely. It will probably kick my ass, and I should probably do some celebrating on Saturday because I am freaking Irish in Chicago for pete's sake. So, maybe I will die on Sunday. Sunday night. After work part two.

Okay, part of me is tempted to leave Pier One, but the money is kind of awesome with two jobs. I could use me some making enough money to start paying things off instead of just floating in debt and fighting off interest. I could use making enough money to afford to go home a little more often, and to afford to go visit friends and have vacations and trips and feel like a vital member of society instead of urban poor. And I only have short shifts at Pier One, and short weekends shouldn't kill me. I can ask for some of them off in advance if I want. No one would hold it against me. I wouldn't be in trouble or get less hours--I hardly get hours there at all, and I help to bolster their very few all the time sales associates. I am going to give it a real test drive before I decide to up and quit. At least that is the plan this week. (I know I know I sound more like I am convincing myself then convincing you, but so what).

2 comments:

Jim said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chrissy's been working since she was 6 with nothing to eat or drink but beer. She is an inspiration to us all.

I would say ride that gravy train for as long as you can stand it. Just don't feel bad when you want to get off because working that much is rough and you don't have to do that to yourself no matter how good the money is.

Anonymous said...

Good heavens! I go away for 4 days and your life changes hugely. Let me know when you want another promotion and I'll be sure to head out of town.

Congratulations!

Also, I tried the dark chocolate M&Ms. Not so much more wonderful than regular that I'll craving them all the time. So than you for the recommendation, but you don't need to worry that you've helped blow my diet. (I'm more than capable of doing that without assistance from anybody.)

I had one other thing to say but now I've forgotten...

Oh yes! On my drive home from Boise I was once again listening to the fabu cd you made for me for a birthday. It's still awesome.