Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New responsibilities

Today is the day that I got an email for work. My very own email with my name--actually two emails that are routed to the same place, the highly technical hkinion and heather @ my work. This means I can send out info on behalf of the company and ask for stuff which means people will respond to me and expect me to have answers. This is where it gets tricky because although I have some answers, I am still new enough that I really, really don't have some other answers--even really obvious ones.

The good news is that I have a lot more to do each day. Today I only spent about two hours reading stuff on the internet and blogging and reading my book as compared to six and a half yesterday. Having more to do is actually nice. It seems like it would be more fun to have nothing to do all day and get paid for it, but when you can't leave your chair (well, you can but like to go to the bathroom or drop a note off and not much more), it gets less and less fun. Plus everyone else is working, and somewhere between 2 hours and six and a half hours of goofing off it goes from fun to uselessness.

Back to work, everyone have a banana on me.

7 comments:

Jim said...

Congratulations on having email at work. I get email with my promotion, too, so we can be work-email buddies. Figuratively, though, because I don't think I can email outside the Target network.

But, still, yay!

Heather K said...

Yay for you too! And congrats on your promotion!

-al said...

hooray for work email!
are you going to get business cards? that's when you know you've made it.

as far as not knowing the answers, just tell people you're new and then ask someone that knows.
then remember that answer for later.

Heather K said...

That's what I do.

I might get business cards, but I don't know. I have a stack of someone else's on my desk.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I worked for "big Portland-based sports shoe manufacturer," whose name just happens to be spelled the same way as a former acting teacher of ours, that I had nothing to do for about 6 of every 8 hours. And that I had to try to look busy because they needed to think I was working, but basically I was just there to keep my boss company. Really.

That's the same job at which I discovered the price of my soul: $20/hour. I cannot quit a gig, no matter how awful, if they pay me that much or more.

laurenj said...

yeah, I've had that job for a little while. At first it's kind of fun to get paid to surf the internet for 8 hours straight- and once I even wrote a play- but after a couple days it just results in headaches, a sense of impending doom from reading too many news websites, and an acute irritibility whenever someone asks you to actually do any work. much nicer to actually be busy. You appreciate your freetime more.

Heather K said...

I do find myself being irritated that the phone is ringing or someone has something for me to do. Like how dare the people at my work expect me to work. I am reading go fug yourself here people. What could be more important?