Monday, April 16, 2007

I don't have curly hair

Apparently. I was on a website called curlygirls.com because, well, it has great advice on product and salons and all sorts of stuff for curly-headed types--it gave me this awesome recipe for a scalp exfoliant involving your usual conditioner and brown sugar. It also has a typing/descriptions system for what kind of curly hair you have (actually it types straight hair too, but it only has one type, 1). There is wavy hair (types 2 a, b, and c) and curly hair (also types 3 a, b, and c)and a fourth type of hair that I don't remember much about (mostly it seemed to be actual afro hair).

Anyway, it turns out that I have wavy hair; I am a 2B. That means my hair is wavy and medium to coarse textured--like Sandra Oh. Yeah, my hair is not curly. I guess (although I think some sections of my hair are actually type 3B--essentially curly, medium to coarse textured hair). This means that my hair does not truly coil. It is an s-curve (loosely) and it can lie flat against my head. Truly curly hair stands up, and my hair does not stand up from my scalp--even when it is short.

It weirds me out. I mean, I always thought I was naturally curly, but it looks like I am not. But, it actually means my hair is more manageable then people who really have naturally curly hair. Who knew? Wavy head.


Also, totally different story. WHAT THE FUCK??!! About Vtech. Oh my God. I am watching a Dateline episode about it, and it is so stunning. I can't believe it, and I can't believe that I didn't hear about it until I got home from work. Wow. My heart breaks for those students, teachers, and their families.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen your hair. You have curly hair. I have wavy hair. The people who run that website appear to be splitting you-know-whats.

(In my completely untrained opinion.)

And yeah, the VTech thing is awful. Why have we not yet figured out what makes people take the necessary steps to go from just being unhappy and stressed and under pressure to shooting up classrooms and workspaces? What flips the switch? Seems like that would be useful information to have.

chrissy. said...

don't worry heather i will always think of you as the red headed curly wonder

laurenj said...

mee too