Wednesday, May 23, 2007

For Jim

It isn't that I didn't like the final Heroes. There were parts that I liked (Claire jumping out the window, Hiro in Japan, some of the emotional connections of the better actors--really HRG), but I was so disappointed in most of it. They had built me up for so much, and they didn't really deliver very much of what I wanted.

The battle was cool, but I wanted it to be Peter v. Sylar (which it really wasn't because everyone else joined in). I wanted Claire to be much braver then she turned out to be (not that her fear wasn't a totally organic choice for the character, but I wanted her to be more, to find the more that is in herself). I was really mostly pissed off that Nathan gets after the fact Hero points because at the last possible second he stopped being a total dick. He was always an ass, and then he gets to save the world. That just sucks. He shouldn't get to save the world, to get the credit for saving the world and to die a hero. He doesn't deserve that redemption.

Plus there was some really horrendous dialogue (you know its bad when HRG can't even deliver it well). I cannot handle when Milo Ventimiglia acts angry or strong by talking with gruff scratchy voice for NO REASON, and there was a lot of that.

I just wanted something more then what I got, so it was a huge anti-climax. I loved, loved, loved the second to last episode. There was bouncing in my chair and screaming during that episode. The finale there was some laughing and not a whole lot more.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Donald and I loved it when Claire jumped out the window. She landed, splat, than stood up slowly- and what we both expected her to do was turn around, look up, and give them the finger. :) That would have been so funny!

PS: Studio 60 back on tonight!

Heather K said...

WHAT!!! WHEN WHERE?

Jim said...

9 p.m. NBC.

Jim said...

I would've been happy with more Peter vs. Sylar as well; I don't think he was really challenged there. We can hope for the future, though, as one of them definitely isn't dead and the other (Peter) shouldn't be. And I did like the final fight; I just would've enjoyed more P vs. S as well as what I got.

Claire's growth ... I think you're right. The challenge for her was making her own choices instead of being led around by others. She kind of did this when she jumped out the window, but it wasn't really a clean break. I guess her big finale was reuniting with her true dad.

Don't you like his name? That's so awesome! "Noah."

I can understand your opinion about Nathan. I didn't really think about it at the time; I was too interested in the resolution of the "brother" conflict.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice any problems with the dialogue. I'll remember to pay attention the next time I watch.

Thanks for the critique. I just like talking about cool stuff with friends.

Unknown said...

OOoooooh, also. . .why didn't Peter just fly himself out of the way.


(Although I know it is because he totally sucks at controlling his multiple powers and it was probably made worse by the out of control radiation. But seriously?)

Unknown said...

actually Janna is me on my roommates account on accident.

~Heather

Jim said...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Peter, but you make a good point. We haven't really seen him use two powers at once.