Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Cotillion

I am going to one, courtesy of my friend Brian Turpin. He invited me to join him as his guest to the Steppenwolf Cotillion--which they throw in tandem to their annual gala. Apparently it is like prom for the staff members--which means a prom full of theatre people with an open bar. Also, sometimes the celebrities at the gala (happening right next door) sometimes wander over to this party because it is more fun (not being as formal and not having the mayor and really rich donors at it). My hope is for pretty cop or Danny from CSI NY or anyone from the Wire to come over (or Gary Sinise or Malkovich or Meredith's dad or Laurie Metcalf or Joan Allen), but I realize that I may be reaching a little high.

Anyway, I still think it will be a blast, even if Turpin has me on strict instructions not to cock block (where is the fun in that?--but seriously, I can be an excellent wingman). I have no idea what I should wear. Possible dress of my roomies, total fall back little black dress (that will need new undergarments to really work), the black lace over nude fabric dress I wore in Chris Plummer's Troilus and Cressida scene (the one where I wore actual clothing), or the blue and yellow dress I wore to banquet at UI the first year. Anyone who recalls ever seeing any of these outfits can feel free to chime in. Since I haven't tried on roomie dress, I am leaning to black lace dress (totally classic and kind of sexy) or little black dress (because it is foolproof). I would wear blue and yellow dress, but I very much fear that it is dated (which would be no surprise since it was fabulous and edgy four or five years ago).

Then there is shoe and hair dilemma. Both black dresses will be fine since I have killer black peep toe pumps to go with them (although they are way sexier then the word pumps would imply). Other dresses, who knows? I think I will wear my hair down and curly because it is pretty foolproof that way, but if it rebels against curling in a nice way, I may just straighten it and go with my sexy straight-hair look (yeah, take that hair, yes I am threatening you). Also the Anna Shlegs will be of help I am sure since she is coming over to do my make-up before the event.

This is so very much like prom it is frightening, but I had weeks to prepare for prom and less then one to prepare for this. Really, it isn't that big of a deal. With curly hair and black dress I will look good no matter what (take that modesty), but I haven't had a reason to get all dressed up and fancy for a long time, and I want to look good (in case Carmine Giavonazzo is there and takes one look at me and falls madly in love with me--and yes I do realize how preposterous and a little bit sad that makes me seem, whatever, I love Danny even if I do not approve of what is happening between him and Montana). Umm, so that is all.

Don't worry, I will take lots of pictures, and I hope to share them all with you.

2 comments:

chrissy. said...

THAT'S RIGHT, TAKE THAT, MODESTY!

Anonymous said...

How absolutely fun!

I vote for lacy dress from T&C (the dressed portion). Especially if you still have the shoes you wore with it. Because those shoes were AWESOME.

I hearted those shoes, and if they had been anywhere near my size, I would have tackled you in the middle of the scene, stripped them off and claimed them for my own.