Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I am so squidgy

I am now.  I didn't used to be.  Or at least I am much more squidgy about things like buses and crazy neighborhoods now that I am so used to living in much more tony neighborhoods.  I think it is in part, that Sam's neighborhood is full of eyes at all times because every other building has a doorman and so do all the hotels, often more than one doorman.  They are standing or sitting and often looking out and around, and the hotel guys usually nod or say hello.  I have become accustomed this, so when I am in neighborhoods without the doormen at each building, I get squidgy.  Back in the day I lived in the neighborhoods I get squidgy about.  Now, I like to think I was aware and stayed reasonably safe.  Well I was fine, so I did stay safe, but I tried to avoid doing things that were really risky and even took longer routes home as needed depending on the time of day.
 
Last night I was on the Sheridan bus fairly late and found myself being extra squidgy.  I mean there was a dude on the bus who deserved squidginess, but nothing else did.  I even knew it was ridiculous, but there I was getting weird in my old age.  Sigh.  What to do.
 
Anyway, Sunday was a day full of house cleaning and rehearsal and Star Trek (which was GREAT and you should go see it, totally fun), and yesterday was full of work and rehearsal.  Rehearsal that was full of real acting.  Like REAL acting, like I haven't done in forever.  I have been just off as Alex lately, and I don't know why, like I think I am pitching strikes right at the catcher, but these pitches are going totally wild every time.  However, last nights rehearsal really helped a lot, and I just have to do some homework with myself and be a good actor.  Side note, it was also a good rehearsal because the director and I have now worked together enough that we just get eachother's process, so we can just lay things out and be honest and not need to get all angsty examining things--one of the best things about working on a project this long!

3 comments:

Sally said...

There is something really wonderful about working with a director multiple times. You don't exactly develop shorthand, but you figure out how they work and they figure out how you work, and the communication just gets easier.

I'm glad you feel like you're back on track. I'm looking forward to becoming a regular audience member once I get settled in.

Heather K said...

Behks (the director) and I have had a history too because there was a while when we could barely speak civilly to each other. It was no goods (and it would be fair to say that it was a hole that I dug for myself), but now we both know we are blunt people and appreciate that, so we can just address the problems without worries about ego or things like that.

We had a great rehearsal last night, so fun and productive.

sally said...

You know, I have a similar history with a director who has since become one of my favorite people to work with.

I'll miss him. We make a good team.