Saturday, May 02, 2009

My mother and the email

My mother cannot remember my email address to save her soul. This was understandable back when I primarily used my hotmail address because it consisted of a series of kind of nonsense-y words some of which were spelled with numbers. There was really no hope that she would be able to remember it ever, and it was even kind of a stretch for her to write it down correctly.

About a year and a half ago I made the switch away from hotmail to another free internet email provider and I simplified and professionalized my email address. It is now resume friendly. It is my first name . my last name at (newprovider).com.

My mother gave me my first name, and I think she is aware of what it is, and we actually share the same last name, so there shouldn't be any spelling misunderstandings. And I have had the, "Now what is your email conversation again?" with her every few months for that entire time. At no point has it ever gotten shorter, like at no point has she gone, "Oh, oh yes, I know that one. OK."

Every. single. time. She asks, so it is heather? What? Oh ok. Wait, what does dot mean? Oh a dot is a period. Ok. Yeah. Then she will say it to me and it will be wrong. Now when my mother calls and I start to say my email address, Sam collapses into giggles and must leave the room because he finds it so seriously hilarious. I cannot fathom how she cannot remember it or for the love of god at least save it to her address book

3 comments:

sally said...

I think your old email address made perfect sense. I'm surprised your mother couldn't remember that one. Not that the new address isn't also memorable, just that, well, knowing you, the old one fit too.

Then again, how often does your mother use email? I mean, if she knew what she was doing, she'd have you in her address book, right?

Heather K said...

I think it is safe to say that even though my mother uses email for her work at school, and a few of her other side hobby/jobs, she does not know what she is doing.

Jim said...

You should set up a special "mother" email account. Your addy could be: you.gave.birth.to.me.for.christs.sake@email.com.