Monday, May 22, 2006

Being a Nanny is strange

It is by far the weirdest situation I have found myself in--not bad, just weird. Actually it is turning out pretty well. I am busier, but not in a crazy way, just in a more of my time is taken up way. I also am finding my life more comfortable with the extra money. It is just weird to be the help. It is weird to be such an intimate part of peoples' lives and yet not hardly know them at all.

Several hours a week I play mommy to two kids who could very easily be my children (my mom was my age with kids the same age), but I am a virtual stranger to their parents. We are finding our way to a relationship--a relationship where I am still the help who knows way less then them. I don't even know what dad does for a living. It is very bizarre. I like the kids though, and I was hugely relieved to see mom lose her temper with the toddler this morning because he can be rough and I was worried that I was the only one who had a hard time with it.

It has its perks though, like the look on the infants face when I make silly sounds at hiim that make him smile.

3 comments:

Jim said...

This might be a strange question, but what do you wear to a "nanny" job? At my last job they never said anything to me about dress code or uniform, so I never really knew. Did the parents give you an idea? Like I said, it's a strange question.

(Also, thank you for the support.)

Heather K said...

I just wear jeans and a t-shirt since I am usually slimed by baby snot and spit up and drool.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 16 years old live-in domestic worker and wear whatever I want for ordinary days (like when I'm with employer's kids or whatever). For special events in my employer's family however, like when I'm serving at parties, I have to wear a white blouse and a black skirt. That really sucks.