Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Movie Day

I went to two flicks today. I saw the X3, and it had some way, way, WAY bad acting in it (by oscar award-winning actresses no less). However, it did have some cool action scenes, and Beast was way cool a la Kelsey Grammer who was having a blast getting to be a bad ass. It was fine, but not as cool as the first two (although I still want to jump Wolverine's bones and found myself enjoying a very scruffy Cyclops until he bit it early on). Speaking of biting it, what is with like hardly any of the original cast being in this movie. Also way cool ending moment of death--kind of sexy.

I also saw the Da Vinci code. Note to filmakers--things that make for slow watching: any time your main characters are 'thinking' a problem through because there isn't much to watch even if you do cool cgi things, also any time you have to quickly explain large amounts of history that it is important the audience retain because it gets boring and complicated even if you do cool cgi things. By the way, TDC had cool CGI things but was hard to stay with because the characters 'thought' a lot (how fucking hard an acting job had that to be--and what was the Tom Hanks playing John Cusack sort of thing, I might have liked John Cusack more) and because there was some seriously dense historical stuff being flung at me a mile a minute and I already read the book. It was mostly underwhelming, but not as awful as I expected from the reviews.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I agree- X3 not as good as 1 and 2- but Wolverine still oh so hot- and Da Vinci Code very underwhelming and I thought Tom Hanks was awful- but you hit it on the nose- he was doing a John Cusack thing!! Thats a great description!

Heather K said...

He sounded like someone else the whole movie, and near the end I figured it out. He stole John Cusack's voice. Weird choice I thought, unnecessary.

Margaret said...

Donald and I thought X3 was still better that X1, but not as good as X2. I still really enjoyed it, and I'll go see it again. The whole thing seemed to be trying to cram too many characters into one movie, many of the new ones were barely introduced and had all of 2 lines.