Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Silent Treatment

I am getting it. Turns out I may have been getting it for several weeks and nigh on a month now, and I had no idea because if I don't see or speak to this person very much anyway, I am not going to notice a silent treatment.

I think it is supposed to hurt my feelings, but the silent treatment is not the best way to punish me. Turns out, if you give me more time to talk, I am not upset by that. It usually doesn't pain me, and in this case, I didn't even notice. Actually now that I have noticed, I find it more hilarious than anything else. Because although I was quite mean to him the last time we spoke--there was an argument, my feelings had been hurt because I felt I had been disrespected and me with hurt feelings=anger, often lots of it--I kind of felt that on the sliding scale between right and wrong I was more in the right than he was (objective judge that I so clearly am). I don't think that is how he sees it. According to my roommate, apparently he declared he is done with me. I no longer exist to him. This makes me howl with laughter! God, I am not a nice person, not at all--as evidenced by my response to his attempt to hurt me.


Oh, for any of you wondering, the person who is mad at me (and who knows maybe rightly so, but this is just too much ridiculous for me) and treating me to silence, well his name rhymes with Wyan Wurpin.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I must confess, I've been giving you the silent treatment as well for months now. You just can't tell because we never actually speak to one another. I hope it burns.

Anonymous said...

Wow. How annoying that would be, to be scorning someone with all your might, only to find out they haven't even noticed. It would require a great deal more scorning, and that's clearly not been effective so far.

Robyn said...

"Turns out, if you give me more time to talk, I am not upset by that."

This made me laugh! Hope things work out in some way- silent treatments are so childish.