Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another Story in the Saga that Stars My Crazy Ass Cat Who Thinks He is Human AND President of the Universe (or More Likely Emperor)

Last night Sam had to be part of some sort of Maintenance Network/Internet something at 2am, so he fell asleep on the couch at like 8pm next to his iphone which was set to wake him up in time for the call/fix. I went to bed myself sometime between eleven and midnight.

Steve McQueen went to bed with me because all three of us had been in the living room, and then I moved into the bedroom, and he had of course to go with me to make sure he knew EVERYTHING that was happening. Then of course there was his nightly, post-human-bedtime ritual of running around very fast and occasionally popping up from the ground to the bed and swatting any stray people limbs and running away very fast. At some point after this I fell asleep.

At one am Sam woke up and started to do his maintenace, and sometime after that and closer to two I didn't quite totally wake up but became more awake than I had been and kind of aware that someone else was awake. Steve McQueen was of course in the living room with Sam inspecting the work Sam was doing and making sure everything was under control.

And then Sam did something that got him in BIG trouble with Steve McQueen. Sam went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. (I know right, what a jerk?!) Steve McQueen went along--as he always does if anyone goes to the kitchen because his food dish is there and he needs to make sure some things are true a) that he has food b) that he has enough food c) that whoever is in the kitchen is giving him more food and d) that whoever is in the kitchen is not stealing/touching/otherwise defiling his food or his dish--and to Steve McQueen's utter horror, Sam didn't fill his food dish! P.S. Steve is always certain that his food dish is less full than necessary for his survival through the next hour of life, so he should be used to this disappointment.

Well, Steve McQueen had to take things into his own hands on this matter. So he chased Sam back into the living room and batted at the back of Sam's legs with his paws (kind of ineffective as he is front paw declawed). That did not seem successful enough, so Steve McQueen darted into the bedroom where I was not so soundly mostly asleep and used his paws to hit the metal corners of the bed frame in a way that makes this odd tapping noise. Then he crossed around to the side of the bed where my head was closest to the edge and began to meow in my ear. But it was not a mew, it was a big howly, yowly talking meow, and it was LOUD and very insistent!

Of course in my half sleepy state, I wake right up (I probably would have from a suond sleep) and I think something must be wrong, or why else would the cat be yelling at me? So I leap out of bed and cross into the living room and ask Sam what is going on. He of course is at his computer and not sure that anything happened. Why, I ask, did Steve McQueen come in and wake me up with yelling?

"Oh that?" he answers, "Well he seemed pretty mad at me when I went into the kitchen."

And so I went back to sleep, and had dreams about a radiation disaster. Yeah, so not so much with a good night's sleep tonight.

2 comments:

Heather K said...

So my sister thinks that I am insane for ascribing so much sentients to the kitty. BUT he is this insane and he does seem to have a clear motivation!

chrissy. said...

oh, stevie. you are funny and unpredictable.