Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Updates and Life musings

Well, I still haven't heard back on the job application that I put in last week (although the job is no longer listed on the site), but I finally heard back about the volunteer application I put in to the Lincoln Park Zoo, and I will be attending an open house late next month. I also met with the second wedding planner who is not someone who would be a good fit for me or for our wedding at all, so she is a no. I meet the third planner tonight.

I also was thinking today about how when I was a teenager or even younger, I used to think just wait until I get to be older. When I am a grown up I will do whatever I want. And the truth of that statement is weird. When I was littler I thought it meant I would eat out all the time and that I would only watch awesome movies and go cool places. I do eat out all the time (but it is over rated, lots of the places I eat are just mediocre), and that part I feel I have really satisfied. But the other part seems not to have worked out the way I imagined. I do get a lot of cool opportunities in Chicago and I take advantage of a lot of them, and they would be pretty impressive to my teenage self, but I also waste a lot of time watching TV on the Tivo. And I don't see as many movies as I had dreamed, although I guess I saw more before I started seeing Sam since he isn't much of a movie person.

But I also do lots of less glamorous things. There is the time I spend doing dishes and the time I spend doing things my fiancée loves that I wouldn't likely do as much of on my own (or any of--although he does return the favor). There is the time I spend cleaning and tidying up the apartment and caring for the cat and running tedious errands to the doctor or the pharmacy or the grocery store or the drug store. Basically I spend parts of my life living a life, and it has less glamorous parts that I never took into consideration in my youth. It is depressing to grow up and to see that life isn't as easy (even in dumb little ways) as you thought it would be.

No comments: