Monday, January 18, 2010

More Quilting

I FINALLY got the right size of bobbins for my sewing machine, so I got to do some sewing this weekend and that meant some quilt-top makking. I FINISHED my very first ever quilt top, so later this week I can take it in to get it machine quilted.

I have decided that due to the particular size and pattern of my first project(s), I will get them machine quilted and do the binding myself. I will learn to hand quilt and machine quilt (using my machine) on smaller projects, so if they aren't really activities I enjoy I will not want to murder myself and give up all of quilting by the time that they are done.

I also started on scrapping my sister's quilt together. Well I had it all cut out and laid out carefully before today, I just needed to start sewing the strips together. So far half of the big initial sewing pieces are done on her quilt which will be a great deal crazier than our quilt. The next project is a quilt for my mom, and I will gift her on mother's day and my sister's by her birthday in June (so I have a deadline but I should be finished much earlier).

I am using the same pattern for all three or a slight variation on it, just to sort of get the basics down. I will need a new project after that, and I am not sure what I want to do. I got this awesome quilt book, and I think I might try my hand at some of the things in it and try to make a quilted bedspread for our house for the summer months, thinking if I back it in pieced cotton, it should still stay light weight.

Also we got the camera's battery charger this weekend, so I now have a good camera, so I will try to post some pictures soon.

3 comments:

Heather K said...

And I was also going to write that I had this crazy set up while quilting where I had my laptop on a stepstool that I could move so it was facing me on the sewing machine or me when I was pressing the blocks and still keep the earbuds attached to it in my ears the whole time because I set up my sewing/ironing area in the dining room table. And was I watching good films or important cinema? No I was not. I was watching some bad pseudo-Christian pioneer films that for some reason I find comforting even as I eyeroll hard when they try to convert me to their bible-thumping creationist fundie evangelical brand of Christianity. Because I do not know why. But it made the time pass at just the right amount and it wasn't good enough that I really wanted to watch it or that I would miss anything by just listening to it.

Sally said...

You should totally quilt your wedding dress if you're looking for a new project. (Ha!)

I think watching or just listening to something like what you describe above would make me want to cut off my own ears and then drill holes in my head to let the bad out.

Heather K said...

Well there are certainly parts where that is true and then there are other parts which are the right kind of tripe for me to enjoy although I get that I might be the only one who can enjoy it and not want to pray to Jeebuzz but snicker terribly.