Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Lying at Work

I keep a weird distance from many of my coworkers. It isn't that they are nice people, they are very nice people (mostly), but they aren't people I would really hang out with outside of work functions. Either we have disparate tastes or disparate tempraments, and I often feel like I am an alien from the far off planet artist. Even with the other artist because I am maybe from the planet theatre and he is from the planet rocker and we are from different points in time.

So I just don't tell them stuff, a lie by omission that I think is fairly common. I am sure everyone censors parts of their private life from their worklife just for sanity. But sometimes I tell them made up lies. Usually harmless ones about why I missed a day or something, but I do it pretty much anytime I take a day off not for a big vacation that I tell everyone about. I think I do it because I seem so brimful of stories and information that silence on something (that isn't even any of their business in the first place we have Personal Days not Sick Days here so you can just take them when you want them and you don't need a reason) that I feel compelled to make up a story that is totally innocuous and has nothing to do with my actual reality.

I think this is weird, but as I write this and think it through, I don't think it is that unusual. Lots of people call in sick when they are not and fake cough or say food poisoning or migraine or whatever and really mean hangover or just not interested in going to work. I feel less bad now.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Choosing to make up a story because you know silence is an unusual thing coming from you is an insightful choice. It's things like that which separate your average stupid criminal from the true MasterMind.

I think that when the time comes, we could do worse than become Master Criminals together.

chrissy. said...

eh, big deal, like you say, people make up things to get out of work sometimes. sure, you don't Have to, but it seems polite to do so.

Heather K said...

Donald that is super insightful about planet artist, and I think a lot of that is dead on about me.

And I know that all of that is checked by HR depts. etc. Which is why I am not friends with anyone at work on facebook, and I have high privacy settings and why I have two twitter accounts. One is my name (and is totally innocuous and mostly just follows a few friends and celebrities), and the other is my real twitter account but to find that you would need to know my internet handle which is weird and relatively anonymous if you didn't know me 12 years ago.

The blog thing is a sruggle. I think I need to go back and scrub my last name from it a little more because you can find my twitter from that.

But saying all this, I do feel really confident about keeping my current job because we are a small company because my supervisor loves me and because my boss is a bit of a special case to handle and has had lots of trouble finding assistants that he doesn't chase away, and he knows I am not scared of him.

Sally said...

EDDIE IZZARD! EDDIE IZZARD! (Just wanted to remind you in case you'd forgotten.)