Friday, February 09, 2007

Brilliance and not really

Final episode of season one of "The Wire" is pure brilliance. A complete and fantastic episode on its own while eloquently mirroring the original of the series bringing a degree of closure while leaving many, many doors wide open. I cannot wait for season two. (Also, Det. McNulty joins the parade of bad boys I have a hankering for of late because Dominic West is a fine man and a fine actor).

Saw a show at Steppenwolf tonight, Pinter's Betrayal. Two outstanding actors, one okay actor, and a show that was just fine. Nothing special, just fine. Too bad. Also, I am not sure that I would like an actual production of the play in its entirety, possibly ever. It is far too choppy and disjointed. Not bad, just abrupt in person, in a way that it isn't when I power through it reading it by myself. Anyone seen a good live version of it?

Oh, belated hero of the week, Herbert because I will miss him when he leaves Pier One.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're doing it here this semester. I'll let you know what I think.

Maggie is in it, and a couple of people you don't know, being directed by another person you don't know. It's so weird that this place is now populated mostly by people you don't know.

Heather K said...

Hmm, I would never have thought of Maggie as an Emma. Not that I don't think she could do it, just that she would not have come to mind first. Granted I mostly don't know anyone left there.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing her Emma. I think she's got it in her to really surprise us if she chooses.